[SOLVED] Safe X570 chipset temperature?

Sep 20, 2019
Using ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus here. GPU blocks half of the PCH fan. Using PCI-E 4 SSD with Mobo's stock heatsink

Air cooling. All fans on max. Idle chipset in the low 60s. Gaming chipset temperature at 75-76. Comes back down to the 60s about 5 min after gaming but I need all fans on max for this to happen.

Is this safe? I am extremely worried. ASUS support says chipset at 79-80 is "safe but can be better". Can I believe them? What are your temperatures for those that use X570?

Solution
  1. Hmm, maybe? Although it looks like the bottom-front fan position is partially blocked by the bottom shroud thing. Could give it a try.
  2. Nah, won't impact chipset temp
  3. Probably overkill, especially if you're using the HDDs you have installed there. It looks like there is a single location to mount a 3.5" drive without having to have the drive cage installed, if you wanted to try that out (not sure how many 3.5" drives you have).
  4. Yeah, personally I think I'd do one top one rear for exhaust.

Again, strictly speaking you don't really have an issue here, so you probably don't need to bother with any of this unless you feel like tinkering :p

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Are you able to make any changes to the chipset fan profile?

To me it makes sense that the default profile would prioritize noise over temp, i.e. not ramp up the fan until it starts getting fairly warm. Could also look at case airflow. What are you full system specs, and what case do you have (with what case fan configuration)?

Reactions: apuity
Sep 20, 2019
Are you able to make any changes to the chipset fan profile?

To me it makes sense that the default profile would prioritize noise over temp, i.e. not ramp up the fan until it starts getting fairly warm. Could also look at case airflow. What are you full system specs, and what case do you have (with what case fan configuration)?

• Ryzen 7 3700x with Wraith Prism stock fan
  • ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus Wifi
  • RTX 2060 Super OC 8GB Triple Fan in first slot, half blocking PCH fan
  • PCI-e 4.0 SSD in bottom slot with Mobo's stock heatsink
  • Two 7200rpm HHDs in lower front position
  • Modular PSU Antec 80+ Gold. Fan facing down
Case is Fractal Meshify C
(https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Meshify-C-MAN.pdf). The manual is here with fan positions on page 18.

Two intake fans in front. Noctua NF-A14 140mm
Two exhaust fans on top. Stock 120mm from case.

Things I have been thinking about to lower chipset temperature. Which options are good?

Option (1) My two intake fans are in the front-top and front-mid position. Move them downward as much as possible? To blow more air into the south side?

Option (2) Using default GPU fan now. Should I tune GPU fan to make them run faster? Would this help the chipset?

Option (3) Get rid of HDDs. Set up a 120mm intake fan at bottom position. Maybe add yet another 120mm intake fan in front-bottom. So 3 front intakes and 1 bottom intake. Overkill? (Probably not overkill if Im having chipset temp issues).

Option (4) currently 2x top 120mm exhausts. Move one to the rear, and leave one in top-rear?

By the way . Cannot edit chipset fan profile. ASUS doesnt allow that, yet...

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Hmm, maybe? Although it looks like the bottom-front fan position is partially blocked by the bottom shroud thing. Could give it a try.
  3. Probably overkill, especially if you're using the HDDs you have installed there. It looks like there is a single location to mount a 3.5" drive without having to have the drive cage installed, if you wanted to try that out (not sure how many 3.5" drives you have).

Again, strictly speaking you don't really have an issue here, so you probably don't need to bother with any of this unless you feel like tinkering :p

Reactions: apuity
Solution
Sep 20, 2019
Again, strictly speaking you don't 8really have an issue here, so you probably don't need to bother with any of this unless you feel like tinkering :p

Strange. I combined Option1 and 4. I lowered the two front 140mms southward by about an inch each. Then I moved one of the top exhausts to the rear. Now I am seeing 69 chipset after about 30min load as opposed to the 75+ before. How can the effect be so strong...?

Also I never did the CFM calculation so Im doing it now.

Assuming all the fans run at max, I have
2x 83 cfm intake (dust filtered)
1x 53 cfm top exhaust (dust filtered)
1x 53 cfm rear exhaust

Assuming dust filter removes 1/3 of efficiency, then I have net +22 positive cfm.

If I just remove the top dust filter, then I have +4 net cfm. Almost neutral pressure.

I know I dont need the top filter for exhaust Just feels weird not having it. Maybe I should always put the filter on when idle or light load (negative pressure, since intake fans wont be at max. I havent figured out how to control the speed of 3pin exhaust fans.). Then take off the filter under load to achieve +4 pressure when intake fans are at max...

Reactions: TJ Hooker