[SOLVED] Safely retrieve files from SSD with previous windows installed.

Dimitris_3

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
Hello, i recently had some computer problems and i was forced to reinstall windows 10. I decided to install windows on a fresh SSD, with my old SSD and HDD disconnected so i could retrieve my files later without many issues. However, would just plugging in my old SSD work in retrieving my files and using that SSD normally later?My previous windows 10 are installed on that SSD. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Possible causes for a RAW file system....

1. Partition or memory card got damaged because long time use or other reasons.
  2. Partition or memory card is infected with virus.
  3. Unexpected power off when partition or memory card is in use.
  4. Bad sectors.
  5. The formatting got failed due to some reasons.
  6. Other unknown reasons.

It seems like the drive is damaged somehow.

Dimitris_3

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I added the SSD and i'm trying trying to access the files but i'm getting this error "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it." Any ideas?

Dimitris_3

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
I also tried chkdsk on it and im getting this strange error" The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives" which i've never seen before.

Thanks for the reply. I added the SSD and i'm trying trying to access the files but i'm getting this error "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it." Any ideas?
Probably corrupted file system.
Use data recovery software to recover your data.

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
Demo version allows testing, if anything can be recovered. Full version must be purchased.

Possible causes for a RAW file system....

1. Partition or memory card got damaged because long time use or other reasons.
  2. Partition or memory card is infected with virus.
  3. Unexpected power off when partition or memory card is in use.
  4. Bad sectors.
  5. The formatting got failed due to some reasons.
  6. Other unknown reasons.

It seems like the drive is damaged somehow.

Solution