Safest Frequency for INTEL E8500?

kami909

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
What is the safest frequency for INTEL E8500 when i planning to sell overclocked pcs. at the moment i m using my self 4.25Ghz checked with Prime95 for 28Hours. temp does not goes more then 70 on 100% load.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Safest speed for an E8500 is 3.16 GHz :p.

I'm not convinced that selling OCed PCs is really a good/safe venture for a single-man business, there is much to consider. How long do you want the PCs to last, how much do you trust your customers to clean the HSF once in a while? What kind of support do you want to provide if/when they upgrade BIOS and loose OC settings?

You would probably also need them to sign some kind of non-liability contract so you don't get sued over any kind of failure the OC might experience.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I think if I was going to sell OC'd PC's, I would be sure to use a very good cooler, and I would be a little conservative with the frequencies. Probably set the speed more like 3.5GHz. I'm running my own E8500 at 3.8GHz, no problems with it so far, and low temperatures with its Zalman 9700. I need it to run fast, but only for limited periods of time so it doesn't sit there and keep generating heat. But someone that hits the CPU hard for long periods of time would obviously be putting more strain on it.

Another thing I just thought of- what if they use the machine in an environment with high ambient temperatures? This would affect the ability of the cooler to keep the CPU cool.

kami909

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Thanx zenthar,

i m gone a give 1 year warranty .. & hope the pc would live for about 3 to 5 years. :)

i have not consider anything yet. but will discuss this with lawyer. thanks for the guidelines.

i have seen some companies who are selling pcs with E8400 @ 4.00GHz ... and they do give 3 years warranty.

thanks anyway.

kami909

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks cadder for your input.

i m using the Thermalright HR-01 Plus cooler with two 120MM Fans monted both side, on my current pc. and i m happy with the temp but as you said we dont know what kind of enviorment the user have.

i will definatly take your advise in considiration.

regards