Safest option in adapting PC to support GPU 1070ti [PSU pin connector missmatch]

May 8, 2018
Hi all!

I need help in figuring out what is the best route to make my PC support a new video card. I will try to describe below the constraints I think I am facing and my thoughts on them.

Video card: 1070 TI (8pin power connector) - Problem: No 8 pin connector on PSU

PC: HP Z420 Workstation
  • PSU - 600W connectors:
    • 1x6 pin
      1xfree molex
      3xfree satas(but they are daisy-chained)
      PSU&motherboard are not ATX compliant. The motherboard needs an 18pin power connector instead of a ATX 24 pin.

Now the options that I see(please tell if anyone of them is ok or if you see something better):

a) Use a second power supply just for the GPU 8 pin connector. Have both PSU connected to the same power plug, use a Power Supply Adapter Switch.

Concern1: I am really scared of frying the video card. Can I minimize the chances of this happening in any way?(eg: type of secondary PSU to buy etc)

Concern2: I saw multiple PSUs are used commonly for mining rigs, but there the Graphics care is connected through a "riser cared" and both the riser card(which handles the PCIe GPU connection) and the GPU power connector get power from the same PSU. In my case I will have :
PSU1->Motherboard->PCie->GPU
PSU2->GPU 8 pin connector.

b) Get a ATX PSU which has all the needed 8 pin connector + get off the internet a atx 24 pin to hp 18 pin adapter. The adapter is not something supported/described/endorsed by HP, it is more of a hack but some users have reported it works.

Concerns: I will need to wait 3-4weeks to get such an adapter, I am afraid I might fry everything.

c) 2xsata->6 pin adapter; 2x6pin adapter->8 pin adapter. I am scared by this option the most, since I saw people on the internet reporting melted adapters. Also the fact that the satas are daisy chain makes me feel I might cheat if I connect 2xsata->6 pin adapter.

The option that I like the most is a) because I don't have to wait 3-4 weeks for that atx 24->18 pin adapter. I'd like to minimize the chances of something getting broken, and I would like the protect the video card the most. If something breaks I prefer it to be anything else besides the GPU.

Thanks!

Solution
The 20+4 pin mains common to ATX aftermarket psus have several of the same voltages on different wires, these match multiple traces in the motherboard. You don't need most of them, they only pull a fraction of what they are capable of.

The adapter just changes 2x 12v on the 24pin to 1x 12v on the 18pin etc.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/hp-z600-psu-main-power-24-pin-to-18-pin-adapter-cable-30cm.html

This is what you need. The problem with many of the cheapo adapters is lack of sufficient wire guage, and brainless idiots making the things with little or no quality control or simply the...

WiiUMasterGman

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Buy a whole new PSU. It's probably better then the one you got and the only adapter u need is this:https://www.amazon.com/11-inch-24-Pin-18-Pin-Adapter-Workstation/dp/B071NL4VK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525837637&sr=8-1&keywords=24+pin+to+18+pin

PSU: PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFLbjc
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFLbjc/by_merchant/

Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $38.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-08 23:49 EDT-0400

May 8, 2018

Thanks! Appreciate your research. The reason I was/am afraid of that adapter is that I looked at one star reviews for it from different vendors and a lot of them had multiple persons stating that the motherboard fried either instantly or in a couple of days.

May 8, 2018

This is what I originally wanted to do. But I would also require a atx 24 pin -> 18 pin adapter(this is what the motherboard uses), like the one WiiUMasterGman suggested.

My concern with that kind of adapter is that I saw at different vendors 1 star reviews like "after 2 days of working the motherboard fried".

The adapter is an unofficial/community workaround to the HP proprietary 18 pin adapter so I do not know if the 1 star review people were 1) just unlucky/coincidence, 2) the idea behind the adapter has an issue 3) some of the adapters are faulty

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 20+4 pin mains common to ATX aftermarket psus have several of the same voltages on different wires, these match multiple traces in the motherboard. You don't need most of them, they only pull a fraction of what they are capable of.

The adapter just changes 2x 12v on the 24pin to 1x 12v on the 18pin etc.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/hp-z600-psu-main-power-24-pin-to-18-pin-adapter-cable-30cm.html

This is what you need. The problem with many of the cheapo adapters is lack of sufficient wire guage, and brainless idiots making the things with little or no quality control or simply the wrong adapter. If you look at the picture you'll see the connector (pic2) on the right is what goes to the mobo. You see the red lead, with 4 black leads next to it, that's the 5v and 4x grounds, as match up with HP pinout of 18pin mains.

Sata connectors don't carry enough amperage to supply a gpu, so that's a definite No option. Molex can carry enough, if 2x different chains are used, you don't want to pull all that through a single chain, you'll burn up the wire. But that would require multiple adapters, molex to 6pin x2 and then 2x6pin to 1x 8pin. Remembering that each adapter will also have a length of wire attached, which raises amperage draw and resistance, creating heat, and under stress, it's the connectors that usually fail first. Take it as an absolute latch ditch option if there's absolutely no other way.

Solution