Saints Row 3 and 4 Stuttering

Oct 26, 2018
In the menu it's smooth for 5-15 seconds then the screen freezes for 5-15 seconds and this repeats. I tried entering the game to see if it was just a menu issue but it happened on the cut screen then during gameplay too. I have about 30 minutes in game and am yet to even shoot a gun. I tried searching but am just finding super old threads about hardware that couldn't run the game or the game crashing/ not starting.

Quick pc specs as it shouldn't be hardware
i7 8700k
RTX 2080 ti
970 evo ssd
Windows 10

The pc and all drivers are less than a week old, i've tried the dx9 and dx10/11 options on startup. Could it be that i have dx12? I want to play at 4k ultra but have tried lower resolutions and detail levels to no avail. It's a fresh download off steam and has all the dlc, less than £3 for some crazy nostalgia seemed worthwhile but it's unplayable.

As it's a new pc i'm missing some things i don't know i need yet so it could be that. Windows had to download something for it to install which wasn't needed for other games i've played so far.

Any help is much appreciated.

Solution
FIXED

Possibly anyway, for some reason both are working fine with steam in offline mode. I only wanted to use single player anyway so this is fine for me. If anyone wants to reply with 'use steam in offline mode' i'll set it as the solution so other people can see it in the future.

Thanks mortemas.
I think this is common with new pcs and my guess is windows is downloading/installing updates in the background.

Windows background tasks like the updater can cause high cpu usage.

1) open task manager
2) go to "Performance" tab
3) click "Open Resource Monitor" at the bottom of the window
4) click the "CPU" column to sort by most usage first and see which processes are eating up cpu time

Oct 26, 2018
I'm having the same issue with saints row 4 so updated the title, gat out of hell works fine though as do all my other games. I tried the compatibility mode for 3 and 4 but it still happens.

Oct 26, 2018
FIXED

Possibly anyway, for some reason both are working fine with steam in offline mode. I only wanted to use single player anyway so this is fine for me. If anyone wants to reply with 'use steam in offline mode' i'll set it as the solution so other people can see it in the future.

Thanks mortemas.

Solution