Salvage an All-In-One

Iamjoshful

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hey there,
I have a Dell All-In-One that is a couple of years old, and recently the HD went corrupt. So now, I have a useless computer and I really don't want to buy a new HD and Windows OS to fix this computer due to its age. I was wondering if there was a way for me to somehow connect the screen to a computer and use it as a monitor. The screen itself is 1080p and I would hate to throw it away.
Thanks for the help,
Josh

A new hdd is relatively cheap, 500gb is $55 and you do not have to buy windows. The pc should have come with recovery disks or dell will ship replacement disks if you lose them. Dell ships them for free for the first replacement. What is the model number? Most aio have inputs so it can be used as a monitor.

Iamjoshful

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Well here's the thing, the computer is a replacement from Dell that they sent us after our other All-In-One broke. It was sent through a third party who then loaded our old data on the new one. So, we don't really have the discs. Plus, I don't really want it fixed, I just wanted to use the screen inside, not the computer.

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
An AIO computer is a lot like a laptop without a battery. You can use an Instructible for reusing a laptop screen the same way. This would involve gutting everything but the screen then purchasing a driver board that will work with it.

An easier solution is to boot the computer to your choice of flavor of Linux and use tmux or SSH to use it as a terminal for using some other computer. Although easier, this has the disadvantage of lag and is unsuitable for many applications.

In my experience with taking apart a very old Gateway AIO, the monitor was connected to the video out on the inside by a standard VGA connector. I have not taken apart a more recent AIO, but the connection has to be made somehow. If you're going to throw it away anyway, then what have you got to lose? Take it apart and look at it. Post pictures and people can help you identify what you're looking for.