[SOLVED] Salvage my pc for a new buiild ?

tostaky

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Hi !
I'm looking for a new gaming pc. I,m not intpo intensive gaming (fallout 4 and alike , Civ 6 and rts games). My actual pc (build in 2014) works but show it's age. It was fun to built that pc myself and would like to do it again.

I would like to keep it around 800$ (or less). Is there anything from my actual pc that could be use again in a new built ?

here's my actual PC:

CPU :i5-4570
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Can I use my ssd to keep windows 10 and avoid buying a new copy ?

Thanks !

Solution
Windows goes to the motherboard, not the hard drive. You'd run into the same issue keeping this SSD as upgrading it. The question is how you got this Windows 10. Assuming this isn't a prebuilt (since you referenced building), you ought to be able to use Windows 10 on your new motherboard, assuing you're registered with Microsoft and anything.

If you don't have any huge power needs, it's conceivable that simply upgrading the GPU may do the trick for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($342.68 @ Amazon)
Total: $342.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 10:51 EDT-0400

i]

And...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Windows goes to the motherboard, not the hard drive. You'd run into the same issue keeping this SSD as upgrading it. The question is how you got this Windows 10. Assuming this isn't a prebuilt (since you referenced building), you ought to be able to use Windows 10 on your new motherboard, assuing you're registered with Microsoft and anything.

If you don't have any huge power needs, it's conceivable that simply upgrading the GPU may do the trick for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($342.68 @ Amazon)
Total: $342.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 10:51 EDT-0400

i]

And then if you're still unhappy with the performance afterwards, only then consider spending the other half..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $420.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 10:50 EDT-0400

If your storage needs are still being met, you don't necessarily have to get a faster or larger SSD. Your case is fine, your PSU should be fine. Your PC is well-balanced and not so old that it isn't a decent candidate for upgrading. A friend of mine hasn't done a whole new build in 20 years, always doing upgrades (and he's on like the third generation of parts that has nothing remaining from the previous generation).

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would look at this two ways....

If (and it's a big if) you could find an i7 of the 4th gen to replace your i5 with, double the RAM, and go with something like a 1660ti/RTX2060 it would make a nice improvement on it's own. Thing is that I am not certain you would be able to find that i7 significantly less expensive than you could just upgrade to a new 9th gen i5, or particularly (as above) a Ryzen 5. IME the i7 will still likely cost you $250 or so unless you happened across a deal or a friend upgrading type situation.

With $800 you could build a whole new Ryzen + system with something like an RX570....

tostaky

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for those answers.

Im thinking about only upgrading the Gpu...there is an refurb rx580 4gb at 165$ ( canadian dollards) in a web store....would that do the trick ?

My monitor is 1080p....

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Eh, I think I'd be more aggressive at getting something that will work a long time. Refurbished generally gets you a 90-day warranty or so and long-term, the 4 GB could be problematic. It might be fine, but I think I'd go for a longer-term play so that you don't need to be doing this again in two years.