Question salvaging a 4 TB seagate drive

Dec 27, 2019
I ran into this problem about a week ago and have been trying a bunch of different ideas to fix it. Most of the imporant stuff is already backed up in other drives / cloud services, but I'd still prefer to get the drive back on to pull stuff off it, so any advice would be great.

About a week ago i was playing a game installed on the drive. After i closed the game, I tried to access the drive to move files onto it and it showed no data (to clarify: when viewed in "My Computer" the drive showed roughly 500 GB free out of 1.8f TB, the size of the allocated volume, but when I opened it there were no files and no folders). At this point I opted to reboot my computer (for some reason), but the drive prevented it from fully booting up.

The drive still shows up in BIOS, and the computer boots up when I disconnect the drive.
I tried to connect it as an external drive to see what I can find out:
disk management shows it as having only 4 GB(3. something), the drive can be turned online using "diskpart", but when i try to initialize it an error says it failed due to Cyclic Redundancy Check.
Trying to use CHKDSK to check it and fix it, I got "No Media" when trying to use it on the drive letter, and when I tried to use CHKDSK on the volume directly I got "cannot open volume for direct access".

at this point i opted to try a third party software to diagnose it and ran "HDDScan". having run all the tests - the S.M.A.R.T test shows no information at all (except giving me a green mark for "drive status"), and all other tests said they got nothing but bad sectors.
I figured at this point I should see about any other ideas, before i try any third party data recovery software (i.e is there any other diagnosis i should run? other tests i should i do?)
I know the drive had 2TB on it I never allocated, can i use that in any way to fix it?

Dec 27, 2019
So sadly the terminal port idea did not work out, i decided to hand it over to a lab and see if they have any ideas, tho i probably don't plan to pay too much for a repair