SAM file missing, corrupt or un-writable

sammy

Hey I just turned on my computer today and just after the splash windows
c:\windows\system32\config\sam hive is missing, corrupt or un-writable. I've
tried a few things:
*an in-place upgrade,
*i even installed xp again in a new folder and copied the
c:\windows\repair\sam file in the folder and still didnt work..
i dont care if it doesnt get up an running again, as long as i can use the
new copy of xp to copy some files from my old folder and burn them on cd,
then i can just format but i dont have access to my old accounts folder, is
there a way to access this folder?
TIA. Sam

Sammy wrote:

> (snip)
> *i even installed xp again in a new folder and copied the
> c:\windows\repair\sam file in the folder and still didnt work..
> i dont care if it doesnt get up an running again, as long as i can use the
> new copy of xp to copy some files from my old folder and burn them on cd,
> then i can just format but i dont have access to my old accounts folder, is
> there a way to access this folder?
Hi

See if taking ownership helps:

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

sammy

Thanks for the quick reply.
In properties I dont have the security tab, only have 3 tabs; general,
sharing, customize.
Any other ideas?
Thx

Sammy wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
> In properties I dont have the security tab, only have 3 tabs;
> general, sharing, customize.
> Any other ideas?
> Thx
Hi

From the KB link I posted:

<quote>

If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must
start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account
that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable
Simple File Sharing.

</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

sammy

Thankyou, it worked. Sorry I didn't read it all before, but its almost 7am
here and I've been up all night trying to fix it somehow.
Thanks again.
P.S. Tell your boss I think you should get a raise!