Same audio stream through speakers and headphones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alachas

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Hi guys,

Ok, bit of an annoyance here, but we'll see if anyone has the solution...

Got a new PC a couple of months ago and it's been kickin' ass, however the speakers and headphones play different audio. I believe this is called multistreaming and I know some people actually want this feature, but I don't. At the moment, I've got the speakers plugged into the back and the headphones plugged into the front panel.

I've checked in the Realtek HD Audio Manager and in the control panel, etc but I can't find anything that makes them both play the same audio. Someone suggested changing settings in the bios, but I can't find any relevant settings there.

Not sure what stats you need to diagnose the problem, but these might be relevant:

CPU Intel i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Sound Onboard Realtek ALC889A 7.1 Dolby Digital
OS Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

One solution is to use a splitter and plug both devices into the audio out at the back of the PC, but I've had problems in the past with splitters breaking, so I'd prefer not to do that, if possible.

Cheers,

David

razor117

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Can't see how the two different outputs are emitting separate audio sources... Is it like receiving audio from an application through the speakers and audio from an MP3 through the headset? If you got one, there must be a setting that addresses this in you audio card settings. Most external speakers also come equipped with headphone jacks and if all else fails you could pick up a splinter like this one to plug into the green jack on the back of the computer, so your speakers and headphones share the same source. Hope this helps!

Alachas

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Solved the problem, turns out I'm an idiot :p
I had to disable the front port detection AND set the output to "mute rear speakers on front port detection".

Status
Not open for further replies.