Question Same fps across all settings

Mar 15, 2020
Hi!

The issue;
I recently (1,5 months ago) built a new pc. I'll list the specs below.
Currently facing a very annoying issue. After the first month of using my pc, I noticed frames started dropping. Quite alot even. For example; in Black Desert Online, I went from 180 to 110 fps, same settings, same scene, etc.
What makes it even more odd is that on every graphic settings (in many different games aswell), I get the same FPS. Also, when I play Monster Hunter World, I seem to crash alot. This also started occuring at the same time as the FPS issue

What i've done to try and fix it;
At first I thought it was a driver issue. I've reinstalled drivers multiple times, also used drivers which people have reported to function properly. No positive result.
After that, I thought it was my GPU temps. They were hitting max temp real quick. I sent my GPU back for RMA and got a new one, with way lower temps. Once again, issue not solved.
Then I started thinking, and realized it might've been a CPU bottleneck, which I'd find weird to happen after just a month. Been monitoring my hardware usages, but none of my components even come close to hitting 100%.

After that I thought to myself, this all started happening after I installed new components. Those being; NZXT Hue2 RGB Kit, Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo CPU Cooler, an extension cable for my GPU and 2 NZXT Aer RGB fans.
I thought, maybe it's an issue with the system drawing too much power? So I disconnected some stuff (the newly added fans and RGB kit) from the PSU. No positive result either.
I also checked power settings in Windows and Nvidia control panel, and all are set to max performance.

Could it possibly be the CPU cooler or 8-pin PCIE extension cable? If not, what else could it be?
(Note that temps are amazing, even under load.)

Specs;
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo
GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Super Gaming X
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - 3000MHZ CL15 (Overclocked to 3400MHZ)
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
PSU: Corsair CX550M
Drives: WD Green m.2 SSD 240GB, Gigabyte 2.5" SSD 480GB
Case fans: 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 120mm(intake), 2x NZXT Aer RGB 2 120mm (exhaust)
Case: Phanteks P350X

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
'8-pin PCIE extension cable'
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - 3000MHZ CL15 (Overclocked to 3400MHZ)

I see 2 potential flags.
What is that first one? The CX550M comes with two, 6+2 pin PCIE connectors. That should've been enough for your gpu.

For the 2nd one, how did you test for stability?

Mar 15, 2020
check cpu/gpu temp?
malware scan the system?
how full is the ssd?
Temps are both around 60c
Have done multiple scans & a clean install of Windows, no malware found
SSD has 350GB out of 500 left.

'8-pin PCIE extension cable'
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - 3000MHZ CL15 (Overclocked to 3400MHZ)

I see 2 potential flags.
What is that first one? The CX550M comes with two, 6+2 pin PCIE connectors. That should've been enough for your gpu.

For the 2nd one, how did you test for stability?
The extension is one of those sleeved cablemod extension cables. Earlier today I’ve tested without it, and was sad to see the exact same results.
I’ve tested memory with MemTest64, and it seemed fine. I’ve had my RAM OC’ed since I got the PC, and the problems only started after a month-ish..

Mar 15, 2020
Same results? Could you elaborate?
Did the crashes still occur after removing the Cablemod cables?

Those cables are actually compatible with your psu? I don't see your psu listed: https://cablemod.com/compatibility/
Then again, that list could be outdated for all I know.
The crashes still occurred and the fps issues were still relevant as well.
As for compatibility, (i’m not sure) but i don’t think it matters for extensions? The extensions aren’t connected to the PSU itself, but you connect them to a PCIE cable which is already connected to the PSU

idle or during game?
Those temps are in game, at idle my cpu sits at around 40-45 and gpu around 30-40

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Did you use DDU to uninstall your old drivers? Is your gpu hitting 100% during any of these issues?
It sounds like a driver issue or other update issue. Did you recently download any patches for a game?

Mar 15, 2020
Did you use DDU to uninstall your old drivers? Is your gpu hitting 100% during any of these issues?
It sounds like a driver issue or other update issue. Did you recently download any patches for a game?

Hi,
Yes. I uninstalled using DDU. Also clean installed Windows. I did download weekly patches for games, but I have the issue with every game so I doubt that’s it.
None of my components hit 100%. CPU is around 30 and GPU around 70

Mar 15, 2020
undo ram oc.
latest bios? chipset driver?

I just undid my RAM OC, and seemed to do nothing different. Is it possible i kind of killed my RAM by overclocking it too much? I had to clear CMOS before my PC worked again. I'll run a MemTest later again.
Drivers are all up to date

Mar 15, 2020
Do you have a spare PSU you could test your system on? Something you can borrow from a friend or local person which is of good quality and enough wattage? Have you updated drivers for your SSD's? See if there are any latest ones for it.

Just tried someone’s PSU (750W gold) And no luck. I’m gonna go ahead and try a different SSD, see if that helps at all..

Mar 15, 2020
Bump, does anyone know a possible fix?
Everything i tried so far;

• Clean install GPU Drivers
  • Update every driver (bios, chipset, etc.)
  • Use friend's components (RAM, PSU)
  • RMA old GPU and get new one
  • Fresh install Windows
  • Undid overclocks
  • Checked issue on both SSD's
  • Monitor temps, everything is fine
  • Benchmarks (3Dmark time spy & Cinebench R20). Scores were around the same as comparable systems.
  • Check component usage (usage on high settings: CPU around 30-40, GPU around 70).

Currently got a new issue where every game, not just monster hunter world, just crashes after a while of playing. (This only happens on high settings)

Please help, i have no idea what I can further do :(