[SOLVED] Same fps no matter the game or setting

Feb 22, 2020
I play csgo alot and fortnite, but since I upgraded to a AMD RX 590 I seem to now be getting the same fps no matter what the settings are, normally 100 to 160. I have looked at cpu and gpu usage and the cpu goes to about 80% while gpu fluctuates between 10% and 40%.

System specs:

CPU: i3-7100

GPU: RX 590

RAM: 8gb at 2400

Motherboard: GigabyteB250M-HD3

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry just corrected myself for the mortherboard, im looking at upgrading to a ryzen 5 3600 and asus rog strix b450- gaming motherboard and 16gb ram, would that help ?
Yes, the r5 3600 will make a pretty substantial jump in performance.

Also that PSU is a big no no. Really poor quality components and reliability, also an old design.

If you're deciding to change the platform you should really upgrade that PSU too.

PSU recommendations:

Corsair CX550M or CX650M
If you have a higher budget the seasonic focus plus series is really solid.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @Jxmi

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what your question is. 100 -160 FPS is blazing fast. What are you looking for FPS wise? Just so I understand correctly, you're saying that if all of your settings are on LOW you get the same exact FPS if they are on HIGH? Whats your in-game resolution?

What PSU do you have? (Exact make & model please)

I'd advise 16GB of RAM vs 8GB.

Also keep in mind that your i3-7100 is a dual core CPU. Here is a listing of the CPU's your mobo supports. You may want to look into a faster CPU.

Reactions: RodroX
CSGO and the SourceEngine the game is built on is way generally way more CPU intensive and that i3-7100 is your bottleneck. You can either try and look for a good deal on a i5-7500 or i7-7700, again I emphasize a good deal since pretty much anything more then 80USD is a rip off and you would be better off saving up for a new Ryzen build.

I play csgo alot and fortnite, but since I upgraded to a AMD RX 590 I seem to now be getting the same fps no matter what the settings are, normally 100 to 160. I have looked at cpu and gpu usage and the cpu goes to about 80% while gpu fluctuates between 10% and 40%.

System specs:

CPU: i3-7100

GPU: RX 590

RAM: 8gb at 2400

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B365M D3H

Looks like an obvious case of bottleneck... your CPU cannot handle the speed of which the frames are given by your GPU. So your GPU slows down syncing to the pace of your CPU.

Also there is something strange.... B365 chipset won't support 7th gen Intel CPUs. So you either have an i3 8100/i3 9100 or a different motherboard. If you have an 8th or 9th gen I3 the bottleneck shouldn't be that noticeable really.

Feb 22, 2020
CSGO and the SourceEngine the game is built on is way generally way more CPU intensive and that i3-7100 is your bottleneck. You can either try and look for a good deal on a i5-7500 or i7-7700, again I emphasize a good deal since pretty much anything more then 80USD is a rip off and you would be better off saving up for a new Ryzen build.
How about upgrading to a ryzen 5 3600 and asus rog strix b450-f gaming motherboard and 16gb ram ?

Feb 22, 2020
Looks like an obvious case of bottleneck... your CPU cannot handle the speed of which the frames are given by your GPU. So your GPU slows down syncing to the pace of your CPU.

Also there is something strange.... B365 chipset won't support 7th gen Intel CPUs. So you either have an i3 8100/i3 9100 or a different motherboard. If you have an 8th or 9th gen I3 the bottleneck shouldn't be that noticeable really.
Sorry just corrected myself for the mortherboard, im looking at upgrading to a ryzen 5 3600 and asus rog strix b450- gaming motherboard and 16gb ram, would that help ?

Feb 22, 2020
Hi @Jxmi

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what your question is. 100 -160 FPS is blazing fast. What are you looking for FPS wise? Just so I understand correctly, you're saying that if all of your settings are on LOW you get the same exact FPS if they are on HIGH? Whats your in-game resolution?

What PSU do you have? (Exact make & model please)

I'd advise 16GB of RAM vs 8GB.

Also keep in mind that your i3-7100 is a dual core CPU. Here is a listing of the CPU's your mobo supports. You may want to look into a faster CPU.
I have a thermaltake litepower 450W, also sorry for reference i get 120 to 160 on csgo and about 100 fps on fortnite on low and epic settings, i play at 1920x1080. Im looking at upgrading to a ryzen 5 3600 and asus rog strix B450-f gaming motherboard

Also that PSU is a big no no. Really poor quality components and reliability, also an old design.

If you're deciding to change the platform you should really upgrade that PSU too.

PSU recommendations:

Corsair CX550M or CX650M

Solution
Feb 22, 2020

PSU recommendations:

Corsair CX550M or CX650M
Thank you very much ill have a look into them!