Question Same GPU not working when swapped, not showing up in BIOS

Aug 26, 2023
So, I have a Zotac GTX 650 Ti 1GB, GDDR5, and an ELSA model that's exactly the same in all but vendor.

I wanted to swap the ELSA for the Zotac one, because the ELSA started acting up and crashing my PC when playing even the lightest games, and the fan stopped working for whatever reason. I know it's not an amazing GPU but it's worked for me for probably three years.

So anyways, I swap them out, make sure the Zotac fits the PCI slot on my motherboard and that it aligns correctly, put the six-pin connector in and turn on the PC after hooking everything back up, and get no signal on the VGA. I use a DVI adapter and I don't have a mini-HDMI so I can't really test different inputs.

The integrated card works without a hitch, it doesn't run games well but it never crashed my PC on a game when put under load so I don't think it's the PSU or anything like that, and when I put the defective card back in I can still get into the PC with display, so it's not a damaged slot or something like that.

Any ideas to get the Zotac working?

It sounds like either the card or the output port on the card is dead. What I'd suggest doing is boot off of integrated while the Zotac card is in the system to see if the card is detected. If it is you could purchase an adapter to try the hdmi port to see if that resolves it, but if it isn't detected it's fair to say the card is done.

Aug 26, 2023
I
It sounds like either the card or the output port on the card is dead. What I'd suggest doing is boot off of integrated while the Zotac card is in the system to see if the card is detected. If it is you could purchase an adapter to try the hdmi port to see if that resolves it, but if it isn't detected it's fair to say the card is done.
I'll try that, thanks!

Aug 26, 2023
So I tried thestryker's idea and from the integrated card the device manager finds nothing but itself, but when I enable hidden devices it shows an Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti saying it's not connected to the system, but I think that's the old ELSA card.

Also, the fan on the Zotac card spins non-stop when I boot the PC, so I think the Zotac is (probably) dead. I'm open to any other suggestions.

Reactions: thestryker
Aug 24, 2023
So I tried thestryker's idea and from the integrated card the device manager finds nothing but itself, but when I enable hidden devices it shows an Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti saying it's not connected to the system, but I think that's the old ELSA card.

Also, the fan on the Zotac card spins non-stop when I boot the PC, so I think the Zotac is (probably) dead. I'm open to any other suggestions.
Try it on a different system.

Reactions: DataMeister
Aug 26, 2023
Update. I tried a GTX 650 PNY card and it's doing the exact same thing.

I'm gonna put my specs here in case anyone has an idea.

Specs:
Windows 11 Pro
Intel Core i5-2400 3.10Ghz 4 cores
8GB DDR3 RAM
Game Revolution B75-M motherboard
(custom)

Intel HD Graphics/ELSA GTX 650 Ti/Zotac GTX 650 Ti/PNY GTX 650 (all the ones I've tried, Intel is the integrated)