Question Same OC different MOBO not stable

Jun 18, 2020
I recently upgraded my mobo to an Asus rog max xii extreme from an msi z490 gaming a pro. Old mobo ran 5.1ghz @1.365v with LLC5 perfectly fine. These settings on the Asus can’t even get me through startup screen without freezing. Being new to Asus bios there’s a lot of newer looking settings to me on there. Am I missing something that isn’t keeping this mobo stable? Removing the min 51 ratio and basically having it clock at auto seems to keep it stable even though it maxes out at what looks like 4.9 ghz all core @ 1.297 v in hwinfo. I have updated to latest bios and downloaded all latest drivers, cleared cmos, reseated parts, just at a lost as to why this mobo isn’t keeping me stable at 5.1ghz when my much cheaper board was at a much lower voltage. Hoping I’m just missing a simple setting. Have tried disabling multicore enhancement, used let’s optimize, only thing that seemed to get to stable point is the all auto with only XMP that I have tried.

SP rating is 63 rating btw. Not the greatest chip but seeing that these settings worked before has me considering switching back

Name:me
CPU:10900k
Motherboard:Asus rog max xii extreme
CPU Voltage:1.365-1.415v ranges tested all unstable
CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier:37
Clock Speed:5.1ghz
RAM:4000mhz cl15 (have also used xmp 1 and 2, ultimately stuck with xmp 2 as it seemed more stable)
Cooling:custom loop 420mm+ 360mm rad
OS windows 10

Jun 18, 2020
When you swapped the motherboard, did you reinstall the OS? If so, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? You might want to also check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing.
Woke up this morning, as I was about to reinstall windows I took another quick last glance at the bios, turns out I had the cache clicked to 51 and not the core clocked, let the cache run at 37 and set the core to 5.2 @ 1.42v in bios, 1.345v under load, I get random 30 FPS drops while in games that only last about a second or so and don’t have a noticeably negative impact on the game, but I do notice the FPS counter and it seems to be on the cpu related side rather than the gpu side. Was wondering if not having a fresh windows install on this mobo might still be a culprit aside from my own error making

Woke up this morning, as I was about to reinstall windows I took another quick last glance at the bios, turns out I had the cache clicked to 51 and not the core clocked, let the cache run at 37 and set the core to 5.2 @ 1.42v in bios, 1.345v under load, I get random 30 FPS drops while in games that only last about a second or so and don’t have a noticeably negative impact on the game, but I do notice the FPS counter and it seems to be on the cpu related side rather than the gpu side. Was wondering if not having a fresh windows install on this mobo might still be a culprit aside from my own error making
Cache ?? Don't you mean Multiplier ?

Jun 18, 2020
Still don't know what Cache you are talking about ? To manually OC CPU you set either Multiplier or FSB/BCLK.
The cpu cache was overclocked initially with a 51 multiplier instead of the CPU cause I wasn’t paying attention, once I set the cpu cache to auto it was set to 4300mhz and setting the cpu clock to 51 fixed my issue of freezing