Question Same Price - 3080 vs 6900xt - Which Would You Choose?

Jmunk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
So I need a new GPU. I'm going to be purchasing them on ebay for above MSRP, but you know what, at this point I just need/want a GPU, so it is what it is. They're the exact same price, $1,599. I've always had NVIDIA GPU's, so I feel like I'm a little bit biased and would love to hear what you guys would do in my position.

Context:

Playing main games on lowest setting at 1440p. Mostly competitive FPS where highest frames matter, but occasionally would love to dig into a story game and max everything out.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
I'm kinda in the same boat at the moment and am leaning towards the AMD card. If Ray Tracing or streaming are important to you I'd go with nVidia due to the encoder and dlss. I play 1440p Cod, and MC java so don't really need the RT for shaders.

Jmunk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
Update: I actually am not going with ebay. Decided to say screw it and either try and get a drop of for MSRP or wait until the shortages resolve. For now, I've actually turned on DLSS because of this thread (not sure why I wasn't using it before), and although there seems to be just an ever so slight quality decrease, the frame performance increase is definitely worth it.

Think I will go with NVIDIA whenever I do snag one.

Apr 24, 2021
So I need a new GPU. I'm going to be purchasing them on ebay for above MSRP, but you know what, at this point I just need/want a GPU, so it is what it is. They're the exact same price, $1,599. I've always had NVIDIA GPU's, so I feel like I'm a little bit biased and would love to hear what you guys would do in my position.

Context:

Playing main games on lowest setting at 1440p. Mostly competitive FPS where highest frames matter, but occasionally would love to dig into a story game and max everything out.
the 6900xt does have FSR which is similar to dlss in nvidia and performs better in term of fps