Same question, different day...

Abstractfear

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Hey guys and girls, I need your opinions.

For my birthday in April, my girlfriend was going to get me an Xbox One.... ew...

I convinced her that I'd be much happier with a new video card within the same price range.

I had my eyes on the EVGA GTX 970 FTW - but in light of recent events (3.5GB), I'm unsure.

Let's keep this Green Team please.

Since I've got some time to think, should I hold out and see what nVidia plans to do with the 3.5GB issue?

Should I opt for a different card?

The GTX 980 is pushing the budget too much.

I currently have a GTX 760 2GB, but wanted to make the jump to 4GB.

I play 1920x1080 currently. I don't have immediate plans to upgrade to 4k, but who knows? I need to keep the option available.

Basically, I need to know the best video card for under $400 that will be available before mid April.

Any suggestions?

Solution

Havo_k

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
3gb is more than enough in my opinion to play games at 1080p. I never had issues with my gtx 780ti playing at that resolution. I think gtx 970 would be a fine upgrade, but if you play mostly games like lol and cs go, then its not worth the upgrade. I'd then opt for xbox one or ps4 for exclusives ( and games that have bad console ports on pc)

Abstractfear

Honorable
May 20, 2013

I tend to play games such as Battlefield 4(Hardline when it's available), FFXIV, Elder Scrolls Online, etc.,

Not the MOST demanding games, but let's face it. We all want the biggest baddest card we can afford :)

My console days are over. It's not the same anymore. I only know 2 people who have an Xbox One... Compared to a group of 15-20 people that had the 360.

Actually, selling my 360 will encompass a portion of the price...

Thinking again (in real time as I'm typing..)..... If I were to sell the xbox 360 + the GTX 760, I may fill in the gap and just grab a GTX 980?

krells

Distinguished

The 980 is a hard sell for a lot of people since it is 15% faster but costs about $300 more than a 970. If budget isn't a problem the 980 is great, it just doesn't have the same performance/value as a 970.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS