[SOLVED] Same RAM brand, size and speed - will it most likely work?

Feb 28, 2021
Hi I have a MSI GL65 10SER-011. The ram stick inside right now is a Samsung 8gb however the exact model is not available online any longer.

I want to purchase another 8gb stick to upgrade to 16gb, Samsung have the same, speed, size, same pin, volt etc etc but the model number is different.. would this more than likely work? Or am I just best buying either 1 x 16gb or 2 x 8gb as a matched pair.

thanks for help :)

Solution
Flip a coin or ask the magic 8 ball.
No one can say for sure if adding a single stick to an existing still will work or not.

The good news is that your laptop does support dual channel ram. You're best bet is to order a matched pair. Possibly you could purchase one locally, like bestbuy, and return it for a matched pair if it doesn't work.

popatim

Titan
Flip a coin or ask the magic 8 ball.
No one can say for sure if adding a single stick to an existing still will work or not.

The good news is that your laptop does support dual channel ram. You're best bet is to order a matched pair. Possibly you could purchase one locally, like bestbuy, and return it for a matched pair if it doesn't work.

Reactions: Ninjakix
Solution
There is one other thing to consider: chip density. The manufacturers will sometimes change chips because they can get the same amount of RAM in fewer physical chips. So they can can either sell it cheaper or make more profit.

Your best bet is 2 X8Gb. Using 2 modules will enable dual channel operation which makes the data bus seem twice as wide so twice the data is transferred on each read/write. A 1X16Gb can't do that.

Reactions: Ninjakix