Same ram cards, only one slot works at a time

G

After about a week of digging around online and a couple frustrating phone calls I'm at the end of my rope. I have a eMachines w3507 500, the ole walmart couple hundred special. I bought two kingston kvr667d2/1gr for my pc as per the instructions of one of the insane amounts of sites I've been to throught this fiasco. What happens is that when I install one card into either of my two slots the other slot goes unrecognized. I've tested both the memory sticks and the slots and all appear to be in working order aside from the fact that only one of the two slots will read at a time. I did notice ion my BIOS that I'm running single memory mode or something to that effect with no option to switch to dual, but I'm unsure if that would make a difference. Before anyone asks, I'm pretty sure that the cards are seated correctly.
If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. This close to christmas with 4 kids I really don't have the cash to go buy a single 2g card which appears to be the only solution I can come up with on my own.
Thanks for your time,
Justin