[SOLVED] same ram, different speed (help)

moodalujab

Commendable
Mar 30, 2019
I have an 8gb TForce Delta RGB 3000mhz on my system and I ordered the same module but with I different speed of 2400mhz. My motherboard can only overclock my current ram to 2666 so I left in on 2400 even though its 300mhz. Would it cause any problems if the one I ordered is originally 2400mhz which I'm going to add?

Solution
Typically, your motherboard will simply downclock both RAM modules to the highest denominator, this would be the slowest stick (2400).

However mixed modules even of the exact same model are a 50/50 bet as RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold, so there is still a possibility that the RAM won't work together nicely.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Typically, your motherboard will simply downclock both RAM modules to the highest denominator, this would be the slowest stick (2400).

However mixed modules even of the exact same model are a 50/50 bet as RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold, so there is still a possibility that the RAM won't work together nicely.

Reactions: moodalujab
Solution

moodalujab

Commendable
Mar 30, 2019

oh wow i guess ill just sell them soon then buy a 2x8gb pack thanks a lot!!