[SOLVED] Same Router, Different Location, Different speed?

Daan32

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
Hi,

I have kind off a weird problem. I have a router (tl-wr1043nd, an older revision) on which I can get about 35mb/s down when I connect it's wan port to a 100mb/s connection, however, when I connect it's WAN port to a 220mb/s connection and I put it in the attic instead of the garden I only get about 5mb/s down.

I allready checked the channels and most of the obvious stuff.

Any suggestions as to what might help?

Thanks in advance,
-Daan

Last edited:
Solution
My thought is that something in the attic is interfering with or blocking the wireless transmission.

Did you change cables or otherwise create a new connection path? Check the cables specs for differences.

You need to do some testing where there is only one variable being changed at a time.

Just change location: Garden or attic. Or just change the connection source (100 mb/s or 220 mb/s).

Not both at the same time.

You may need to run some temporary extension cables with respect to making the ISP to router WAN connection. If so, use that same cable path for all tests - idea being not to introduce another variable.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that something in the attic is interfering with or blocking the wireless transmission.

Did you change cables or otherwise create a new connection path? Check the cables specs for differences.

You need to do some testing where there is only one variable being changed at a time.

Just change location: Garden or attic. Or just change the connection source (100 mb/s or 220 mb/s).

Not both at the same time.

You may need to run some temporary extension cables with respect to making the ISP to router WAN connection. If so, use that same cable path for all tests - idea being not to introduce another variable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS