Same size HDD to SSD clone failed - write failed - 22 - invalid argument (Macrium Reflect)

sdhaku

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Trying to clone my primary C drive (OS, programs, and some data) over to a new SSD drive. Both are 1 TB drives and I'm using Macrium Reflect but am getting the error "clone failed - write failed - 22 - invalid argument." I'm following these 2 guides as I go http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/ and http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/.

Not sure if this would cause any problems but the disc I'm trying to clone shows 2 partitions (both C drive). One is labeled System Reserve (None) NTFS Active with 38.1 MB over 100MB and the other is (C:) NTFS Primary with 798.57 GB over 931.41 GB.

I feel like this should be able to move over easily. Anything I'm missing here?

It's hard to tell what went awry with the Macrium disk-cloning operation since a variety of factors can be involved, including user error in utilizing the program. Presumably you've attempted at least another d-c operation with the program, but with the same failed results, right?

Nearly needless to say it's absolutely essential that both the source & destination disks are non-defective.

You didn't indicate the make of the SSD disk that's intended to serve as the destination disk for the clone. Many, if not most, SSD manufacturers include a "data-migration" program with their models, e.g., Samsung's Data Migration program. So use one of those if appropriate.

If Jasjar's suggestion (a good one) doesn't resolve the problem with the Macrium program, you might want to try a disk-cloning program that I use nearly exclusively. (I use the program chiefly as a comprehensive backup program that I employ routinely for that purpose). It's the Casper program - commercially available for $49.99.

However Casper has a 30-day trial version that you might want to try. Here are instructions for using the program in case you're interested...

1. Download/install the Casper Trial Edition v8 disk-cloning program from https://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/trial/

2. Before undertaking the disk-cloning operation close all open programs. (Generally you need not disable your anti-virus program). Ensure your destination drive - the proposed recipient of the clone - is properly connected in the system and ideally no other disks but the source & destination ones are connected in the system.

3. Double-click on the Casper 8.0 icon to open the program.

4. Click "Choose other options", then "Copy Drive" on the following window.

5. On the next window click "Perform a different copy".

6. The next window will list the drives connected in your system. The source (C:\) drive (the drive you will be cloning) will be highlighted. The System Reserved partition will be cloned to the destination disk as well. Click Next.

7. The next window will list your proposed destination disk - the recipient of the clone. If you have more than one potential destination disk currently connected in your system they will be listed as well. Ensure the disk you want to serve as the destination disk is highlighted. Click Next.

8. If the destination disk contains data the next window will indicate a warning that this data will be lost as a result of the disk-cloning operation. Click Next.

9. The next window gives the user an option to assign a name to the destination disk for future Casper disk-cloning operations involving that disk. If no name is desired uncheck the box. Click Next.

10. The next window reflects how the cloned data will be distributed on the destination disk. The default proportionate distribution option will suffice in nearly every case. Click Next.

11. A message may appear indicating that this Casper Trial Edition does not support "volume resizing" - basically user manipulation of partitions on the destination disk. This feature is available on the Casper commercial version. Click Continue.

12. On the final user screen click "Perform the copy now".

13. Exit from the program after receiving message that the disk-cloning operation was successful.

Good luck whatever method you choose to use.

sdhaku

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Thank you so much! That worked!

Jun 16, 2018

I just encountered the same issue with Macrium (clone failed - write failed - 22 - invalid argument): I then installed Aomei Backupper as suggested by Ingrid_C and I've been able to perform the clone to my new SSD without any issue.

Thanks a lot for the tip !

TRENDING THREADS