[SOLVED] Same start up time after upgrading from ssd to m2

Feb 16, 2022
I have upgraded the whole pc and i used to use a ssd (samsung 850 evo 500gb) and i had a start up of 15 seconds.Now i have the M2 NVME samsung 980 pro and it has the same start up time.
i figured something when i was trying to fix it .I have two monitors ,one with an hdmi and one with display port - (main)
when i disconected the display port one so i could enter the bios the start up time went from 15s to 10s and when i connected the display again it went bck
any solutions to take advantage of the new m2
Also my build:
ryzen 5800x
gtx 1070 8gb
msi b550 gaming plus
dual channel g skill 8gb each at 3600Mhz
980 pro on pcie gen 4 1TB
850 evo SATA 500 GB
WD GREEN 1TB
The reason why i am looking at the start up is because a friend of mine has lower boot time with the exact same windows and (windows 10 pro) and has a start up of 9 secs and he has a way lower in performance system
and one other friend with only a better gpu (3070) has start up of 4-5 secs with the same m2 as mine and NOT ON A PCIE GEN 4 ,its on gen 3 slot
Also when i boot the pc it doesnt show me to enter the bios or showing me the windows loading it just starts .Maybe the problem is that the main monitor is display port? because when i use the one with the hdmi it boots normally

Last edited:
Solution
'boot time' is a poor indicator of SSD performance.

Starting with HDD, lets look at what happens.

HDD - boot time = 60 sec
15 sec of the BIOS, 45 sec of the HDD

SATA SSD. Several times 'faster' than the HDD.
Boot time of 30 sec
15 sec of BIOS, 15 sec of the SSD and Windows

Now.....lets put in a drive that is theoretically 3 times as fast, an NVMe.
You might think the 30 sec boot time goes down to 10 sec.
No.

Still have 15 sec of the BIOS, and now 5 sec of the new SSD and Windows.
So, that 30 sec goes down to 20 sec.

Diminishing returns.

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
also, nowhere near enough info. What motherboard are you using, and what M.2 slot did you put the drive in? Not all M.2 slots always perform equally. What other PCIe devices (video cards, etc) are plugged in and what slots are those in?

kanewolf

Titan
I have upgraded the whole pc and i used to use a ssd (samsung 850 evo 500gb) and i had a start up of 15 seconds.Now i have the M2 NVME samsung 980 pro and it has the same start up time.
i figured something when i was trying to fix it .I have two monitors ,one with an hdmi and one with display port - (main)
when i disconected the display port one so i could enter the bios the start up time went from 15s to 10s and when i connected the display again it went bck
Any time BEFORE the Windows logo shows up on the screen is independent of the storage device. So your 15 seconds may be 12 seconds in the BIOS and 3 seconds for Windows.

I don't think your 980 is going to boot any faster than your 850.
Use task manager/startup.
In the upper right corner it shows bios time.
You can see what that does with different monitors connected.

USAFRet

Titan
'boot time' is a poor indicator of SSD performance.

Starting with HDD, lets look at what happens.

HDD - boot time = 60 sec
15 sec of the BIOS, 45 sec of the HDD

SATA SSD. Several times 'faster' than the HDD.
Boot time of 30 sec
15 sec of BIOS, 15 sec of the SSD and Windows

Now.....lets put in a drive that is theoretically 3 times as fast, an NVMe.
You might think the 30 sec boot time goes down to 10 sec.
No.

Still have 15 sec of the BIOS, and now 5 sec of the new SSD and Windows.
So, that 30 sec goes down to 20 sec.

Diminishing returns.

Solution
Most of the I/O during startup is small and random.
There is very little difference between a m.2 pcie ssd and a sata ssd in small random I/O
Yes, the m.2 sequential speed is faster. but perhaps not such a major component.

Then, also, the performance of your processor plays a part. Particularly the single thread performance.

What to do???
Just do not shut down. Use sleep to ram instead.
sleep/wake becomes a handful of seconds.

Have you implemented fast boot?
That reads a simple sequential file that contains the windows image as it was after the last successful boot.
That is the fastest option and will use the sequential capability of the m.2 ssd.
If you are doing a "clean" boot, windows loads components, one, at a time, and that is a more random process.