Samsung’s Knox Devices Approved For Classified Use By US Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexizzle2

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
I think the government will keep using blackberries because they're cheaper and reusable (many blackberries being used by government workers are hand-me-downs). Plus they stay secure forever, while Samsung drops support after a few years. Plus, why do government workers need these phones? It would be a security vulnerability, no matter how secure these phones claim to be... Some employee will download some crap and give it permission to access files, network connection, etc. It's not like these guys absolutely have to be able to play Angry Birds or check their Instagram; they can have their personal smartphones for that

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Besides being a foreign corporation and manufacturing system, Samsung doesn't always keep up with it's security obligations either, especially in aging products. They drop support after a while on older devices like nearly every other device maker in the industry. The US government is known to keep devices for years if not decades, not to mention regularly losing them. Really secret stuff wouldn't be transmitted like that, but that still leaves lower classified information and department infrastructure vulnerable. Will there be a contract to provide updates for the entire physical life of these devices.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I wonder if blackberry will sue them for copying their ideas to get some $$$. They need it. They only have enough cash to last another 5 years unless their Passport can save them.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Instead of giving national security a ton of power to pointlessly spy on people, maybe they should focus more on making PROPER security for themselves rather than using something that's so available.

Alexizzle2

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Well gee, sorry. Maybe I had it confused with iPhones being approved for military use (article about that here). I just know from personal experience that the duty officers in US embassies use iPads and iPhones for their work, so I assumed those devices had been approved.

Also for the record I don't give two craps about the Apple wars. I personally use Android, but I think iPhones are perfectly good phones as well.

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
"
At "gggplaya" (Well, Blackberry stocks just plummeted today. )
"

At opening of the day, the stock was $11.70 (local currency), at closing, it was $11.40. You call this a 'plummet'?

nice troll attemp

genz

Distinguished
Terry, it's a figure of speech. To all others that are complaining about them being inherently less secure than a BlackBerry, that's like declaring that PCs are inherently less secure than an iPad.

Well yeah... but if you set it up right that's ceases to be a problem. You see Androids already run with everything in userland and shut off from root Linux access, plus they support signed remote administration, meaning that with a few extensions and some crypto modification to US milspec, they can be blocked off the app store, sandbox each app, encrypt their storage natively, randomize their online fingerprint, and administrate all these controls remotely, (i.e you have to jack the phone up to something else to turn these things on and off).

Samsung has just extended what was already there to Blackberry standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.