Samsung 1 TB 840 EVO mSATA SSD Now Up for Pre-Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2013
Okay, I have to admit my ignorance here. Is the only thing that makes this "mSATA" the size? I mean, it's still a SATAIII interface, right? So, what is the technical advantage?

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

None, it's that you can slam one of these on your ultrabook of choice as an mSATA port is all they have as storage upgradeability.

and here's another reason why I want to see samsung make a truly amazing ultrabook at a reasonable price...they can integrate the best ram, SSD, and display on the market, and everything can be custom tuned and adjusted in-house...

Sep 22, 2013

Okay, thanks! That makes sense. I did not realize this.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
msata disks don't have the typical data and power sata plugs but they fit on certain motherboards (if they have msata interface) or ultrabooks as someone mentioned.Z68 chipset motherboard Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 was a motherboard i bought (sandy bridge) and it had that interface on. Those chipsets can even make the msata ssd to become hybrid disk with a typical sata hard disk, Useful stuff

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
There is actually quite a few uses for this, when the price comes down. The Intel NUC has only msata storage. I am surprised that it it so cheap. New format, 2.5" to msata only an $80 price difference.

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

I did! The ratio of GB per dollar is improving. In a few years SSDs might be a commonly viable option (price-wise) for everyone. I paid (per GB) more for my current 500 GB SSD. I didn't mean that $615 is awesome and I want to run out and buy one but... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.