[SOLVED] Samsung 1TB 860 EVO versus Pro?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I've always used Samsung SSDs and I'm curious as to the difference between the EVO and the Pro (I know a little about the 2 bits versus 3 bits per cell), but from a practical (user's) standpoint is there a noticeable difference? I have a machine used for audio production (Pro Tools) and it's critical to have project files on a separate (preferably internal) SSD. My 256 GB 850 Pro is getting to be too small (lots of projects). Is the much higher price tag for the 860 Pro worth it?

Solution
Depends on your usage. The Pro can write at full speed for the entire drive size. The Evo cannot and uses part of the TLC cells in SLC mode as a high speed buffer. Once the 42GB (for the 1TB) buffer fills you drop to it's native TLC speed which I believe is 285MB/s

popatim

Titan
Depends on your usage. The Pro can write at full speed for the entire drive size. The Evo cannot and uses part of the TLC cells in SLC mode as a high speed buffer. Once the 42GB (for the 1TB) buffer fills you drop to it's native TLC speed which I believe is 285MB/s

Reactions: dg27
Solution

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks. I was reading reviews on Tom's and Anand tech and I thought that's what they were saying but wasn't sure. From what I saw it was something like 600 TBW versus a couple of thousand. I see no way of hitting the limit during the normal life of the drive (I'll maybe write or rewrite 10 GB a day).