Review Samsung 27-Inch CRG5 240Hz Monitor Review: VA With Record-Breaking Speed

Wanderingm00se

Prominent
Nov 23, 2019
It might be asking for a lot, but could we expand the testbed for freesync for faster GPU's, I don't imagine many people are buying a 240hz monitor at 100fps. Not sure if there would still be ghosting at 200fps, I know the impact changes at different refresh rates.

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I ended up buying this monitor because of this review, and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the G-Sync capabilities. It has terrible inverse ghosting/overshoot. This is with an EVGA RTX 2070 through displayport @ 240hz.

How does something like this get labeled as G-Sync compatible; the fact that you can physically enable the feature?

The effect is minimized greatly if you're getting over 200fps but in a game like The Division 2 where I hover in the mid 80's, it's unbelievably apparent and actually rather nauseating (not to mention unusable). Even in COD MW I'm getting ~160fps and the issue is still quite apparent, especially on the night missions such as 'Clean House'. Shades of green show it the worst, even at 240fps you can see the overshoot clearly.

Edit: Amazon ended up sending me a replacement unit and it's exactly the same, just going to have to return it as it really isn't G-Sync compatible in the slightest. Running without G-Sync results in an extremely smeary experience. It's a real shame as it does have some of the inkiest blacks I've seen and the colors + contrast are truly impressive.

I even tried using CRU to limit the VRR range to force it to double but it ends up looking extremely smeary and feeling rather slow, regular 240hz mode is better (which isn't saying much).

Last edited:

elninocro

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
u cant rely on reviews anymore.
"everything is fine, theres minor drawback but overall is 110% purchase"
i guess reviewers chasing that everything is fine, so they get more toys to play with.

CPUzer0

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
How does something like this get labeled as G-Sync compatible; the fact that you can physically enable the feature?
That's the thing - this monitor is G-Sync compatible, the lowest tier of G-Sync. G-Sync compatible certification doesn't require variable overdrive, which this monitor lacks with it enabled. This is the one true (and huge) flaw of the monitor, otherwise it's actually rather impressive for a relatively inexpensive VA monitor. If i primarily played games that don't run a near constant 240 fps, i would have returned mine, the overshoot at lower framerates with g-sync enabled is pretty horrid. Luckily i do primarily play games that i can run at 240, those games that do not i've disabled g-sync for in nvidia control panel. Good enough workaround. But still, the overshoot issue at lower framerates is potentially such a huge dealbreaking issue that it should be mentioned in bold letters in every review of this monitor.

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
On a possibly positive note, Samsung finally responded to my post on their forums I made 2 months ago and claimed they forwarded my info to their Engineers. If they somehow implement variable overdrive that would be awesome (there is one monitor available with variable overdrive without the g-sync module)

Aug 16, 2020
I ended up buying this monitor because of this review, and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the G-Sync capabilities. It has terrible inverse ghosting/overshoot. This is with an EVGA RTX 2070 through displayport @ 240hz.

The effect is minimized greatly if you're getting over 200fps but in a game like The Division 2 where I hover in the mid 80's, it's unbelievably apparent and actually rather nauseating (not to mention unusable). Even in COD MW I'm getting ~160fps and the issue is still quite apparent, especially on the night missions such as 'Clean House'. Shades of green show it the worst, even at 240fps you can see the overshoot clearly.

Edit: Amazon ended up sending me a replacement unit and it's exactly the same, just going to have to return it as it really isn't G-Sync compatible in the slightest. Running without G-Sync results in an extremely smeary experience. It's a real shame as it does have some of the inkiest blacks I've seen and the colors + contrast are truly impressive.

I even tried using CRU to limit the VRR range to force it to double but it ends up looking extremely smeary and feeling rather slow, regular 240hz mode is better (which isn't saying much).

There is a fix, you have to make a custom resolution in NVidia control panel and set the refresh rate to 201hz.
Apply and no more ghosting. Yes I know set the refresh rate at 201hz is a bit lame but anyway.

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
There is a fix, you have to make a custom resolution in NVidia control panel and set the refresh rate to 201hz.
Apply and no more ghosting. Yes I know set the refresh rate at 201hz is a bit lame but anyway.
When I still had the monitor I tried running it at a custom refresh rate of like 200 but I found it traded the ghosting for smearing, are you not experiencing that?

Aug 20, 2020
Will this work on a Radeon GPU?

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Will this work on a Radeon GPU?

The CRG5 should be Freesync compatible, although I would imagine you'll be having the exact same issues as I and other users have mentioned while using G-Sync.

I'm now currently on the Odyssey G7 27" and while it doesn't have any ghosting/flickering or any dark smearing (seriuosly no smearing at all somehow). the HDR is essentially useless and to me it has much worse contrast/blacks than the CRG5.

My CRG5's blacks were inky and perfect, they genuinely looked better than my old Panasonic TH-50PH20U's blacks. While the Odyssey has serious backlight bleed which kills the black levels (especially on the lower half of the screen). The nvidia control panel also by default sets the BPC to only 8 instead of 10, but even when set to 10 the HDR generally looks worse than playing the game in SDR (except BFV, somehow that game looks awesome in HDR).

serpentmoves

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

I dont have any idea what your talking about.I bought this monitor and its great,I am usually hammered when I play games so I dont notice any ghosting or <Mod Edit> like that,all I know is my kill to death ratio went up in fps games.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS