Review Samsung 49-Inch Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor Review: Big Screen, Big 1000R Curve

Rocastroca

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
I just love mine. It is really a great experience, it sets PC gaming apart. Regardless of the screen size and format, fast, great color, acceptable contrast. Mini LED local dimming would be great IF they are fast enough for gaming.

I just love mine. It is really a great experience, it sets PC gaming apart. Regardless of the screen size and format, fast, great color, acceptable contrast. Mini LED local dimming would be great IF they are fast enough for gaming.

Shouldn't affect the panel frequency since it's just a backlight change. Besides, it should be faster than the current dimming tech. There's a supposed leak on the updated version that pretty much keeps all the other specs, but flaunts a VESA DisplayHDR 2000 certification (doesn't even exist yet). Same resolution, response times and support for G-Sync and AMD FreeSync Pro, so no changes there.

archv

Reputable
Aug 3, 2018
I had the previous version of this monitor (the 49" Samsung CRG9). I'd add one "Con" to the list for the G9, which is that the aspect ratio does NOT play well with some games. If stick to the big AAA titles, you'd probably be fine, but if you like to mess around with some indie games, or more niche games, you'll have trouble. Of course you can force it into some terrible 16:9 resolution and have half the monitor be black bars... but that kinda ruins the point doesn't it? I gave the 49" to my 15 yr old son, and got the Samsung G7 32" 16:9 works with everything :) Oddly, I don't miss widescreen AT ALL.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
2x27 Monitors are also out of eye vision field. you wont see the edges of the game and the center at the same time
Not even remotely correct, no idea where you are getting that from. Human binocular vision is roughly 135 degrees. You can see this entire monitor plus a whole lot of the room on both sides. What you can have in focus is closer to 6 degrees and that is smaller than any monitor as it is only a few words in this sentence.

The real issue with these displays isn't a field of vision, it is focal length. With the 1800r monitor, the outer edges are about 5" further away from my eyes than the center, causing my eyes to have to change focus when I look to the edge. The 1000r is going to be better but I haven't seen a review measure it to know how much better it is. It will not be perfect though as unfortunately these monitors are not a smooth curve. They are like someone just put their knee in the middle and pulled. The curve is all in the middle 1/3rd (roughly) and the outer 1/3rds are flat. The ideal monitor is an even curve all points on the screen are the same distance from your eye.

Last edited:

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
I was hoping this would be about the supposed 2021 mini-led refresh for the G9, since the original model covered here is a year old by now. It could fix my main gripe with the G9 which is the awfully subpar 10-zone local dimming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yflpMod7huQ&t=134s

Any news on the 2021 model would be appreciated.

I have the previous model, CRG9, and those 10 vertical zones make the HDR capability mostly a joke. Yes, it can get bright, but within the bright area, the dynamic range isn't there. One pixel lights up and you can see the entire zone go from black to grey (like the video shows). Really distracting when watching a movie or anything else that doesn't fill the screen.
Even if they do mini-led, they may not do enough zones to make it good and not distracting as you see with HDTV's that do this but you can see the squares light up in darker scenes, like with star fields. That said, it can't be worse than it is now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murissokah
Jun 4, 2021
Not even remotely correct, no idea where you are getting that from. Human binocular vision is roughly 135 degrees. You can see this entire monitor plus a whole lot of the room on both sides. What you can have in focus is closer to 6 degrees and that is smaller than any monitor as it is only a few words in this sentence.

The real issue with these displays isn't a field of vision, it is focal length. With the 1800r monitor, the outer edges are about 5" further away from my eyes than the center, causing my eyes to have to change focus when I look to the edge. The 1000r is going to be better but I haven't seen a review measure it to know how much better it is. It will not be perfect though as unfortunately these monitors are not a smooth curve. They are like someone just put their knee in the middle and pulled. The curve is all in the middle 1/3rd (roughly) and the outer 1/3rds are flat. The ideal monitor is an even curve all points on the screen are the same distance from your eye.

I get it from the 2x27 screens infront of me lolz .. if you dont go back you wont see the edges and center at the same time in gaming. it is not about the degrees alone it is about the distance between you and the monitors as well. if you are close to the montiors they will cover all the field of view .

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
I get it from the 2x27 screens infront of me lolz .. if you dont go back you wont see the edges and center at the same time in gaming. it is not about the degrees alone it is about the distance between you and the monitors as well. if you are close to the montiors they will cover all the field of view .
A person literally can. As stated, you should be able to see around 130 degrees which is much wider than this monitor even 1' away. It isn't in the center of focus, but it perfectly visible. I have no issues with seeing the edges and my face is ~2' away from the center. If you can't actually see it, you may want to get checked out as you should see all of 2 27" and good amount of the rest of the room in your peripheral.

I have the previous model, CRG9, and those 10 vertical zones make the HDR capability mostly a joke. Yes, it can get bright, but within the bright area, the dynamic range isn't there. One pixel lights up and you can see the entire zone go from black to grey (like the video shows). Really distracting when watching a movie or anything else that doesn't fill the screen.
Even if they do mini-led, they may not do enough zones to make it good and not distracting as you see with HDTV's that do this but you can see the squares light up in darker scenes, like with star fields. That said, it can't be worse than it is now.

Yeah, this pretty much made me pass on this monitor. The 10-zone edge array does feel like a bad joke and is evidently there just to provide an impressive constrast ratio for the specs. I've had a FALD TV in the past with some 90+ zones and the local dimming was good for dynamic content like movies and games, but still very distracting for static content (like moving a white cursor over a dark console or editor). Since Micro LED is still far away and we don't have OLEDs in this format, here's hoping Mini LED can do a good enough job with its 2000+ zones that its worth using.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Yeah, this pretty much made me pass on this monitor. The 10-zone edge array does feel like a bad joke and is evidently there just to provide an impressive constrast ratio for the specs. I've had a FALD TV in the past with some 90+ zones and the local dimming was good for dynamic content like movies and games, but still very distracting for static content (like moving a white cursor over a dark console or editor). Since Micro LED is still far away and we don't have OLEDs in this format, here's hoping Mini LED can do a good enough job with its 2000+ zones that its worth using.
(got your mini and micro's reversed) Hope so, the MiniLED monitors from Apple and others have been pretty good in the reviews for HDR (not perfect but good for monitors) but the prices have been pretty crazy and they are missing some features like high refresh rate. Though Asus has a 32" 144hz monitor with 1152 zones. For a mere $3000 it can be yours.. Currently it seems like looking at a 42" LG OLED HDTV as your computer monitor makes more sense than any other monitor that can do HDR and DCI-P3 color with higher refresh.

gamergeek

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

If you can't see the edges then you are either WAY too close to the monitors or you have poor field of vision. Im sitting in front of two 27" right now and even if I close one eye I can still see both edges when looking directly at the center.

Reactions: PBme
Jun 22, 2021
Stock of this model has all but disappeared from major retailers (Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) in the last week as well as the Samsung website. Is it safe to assume a new model is coming out?

allac666

Reputable
Mar 18, 2018
I bought one late last year part for gaming part for working from home. It works great for wfh as 2 or 3 logical screens but auto detect of inputs has never worked. I have my work Dell on HDMI and my gaming PC on DP1 and have to switch manually every time. Firmware updates are painful too - they fail off everything except tiny FAT16 formatted USBs. Now if I could only get a decent video card!

TRENDING THREADS