Samsung 49" monitor not emitting sound

Sam_184

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
I have tried connecting two different PC's to my monitor and selected in the sound options to have the sound come out through the monitor and have put every sound bar on max, no sound. Please let me know if anyone can assist, thank you in advance.

Link of monitor: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

Solution

For audio on your monitor you can plug a pair of computer speakers into the headphone jack.

1. Is your monitor connected by HDMI?
2. Can you tell me what is listed under "Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers"?
3. Right click one of your Playback device in "Control Panel > Sound". Are "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" check-marked?
4. Can you tell me what devices are listed under "Control Panel > Sound > Playback"? Are any labeled HDMI out?

Sam_184

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for your continued assistance. I appreciate it.

1. Yes, my monitor is connected via HDMI

2. NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), and Realtek High Definition Audio

3. Yes for both

4. C49HG9x (status: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Ready),
C49HG9x (status: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Default Device),
NVIDIA Output (status: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Not Plugged In),
NVIDIA Output (status: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Not Plugged In),
Speakers (status: Realtek High Definition Audio Not Plugged In),
Realtek Digital Output (status: Realtek High Definition Audio Ready)

Note: I am connected to TWO Samsung 49" Gaming monitors.

Thanks again.

So with your Sound > Playback devices open, when you try to play audio on your monitor, which device has the green volume meter indicating sound? Is it the default device? Try setting the other monitor as the "Default Device".

1. Do you have Realtek Audio Manager in your taskbar?
2. What happens in Sound > Payback devices if you disconnect the HDMI cable?
3. What is the name of your motherboard?

Realtek-Hd-Audio-Manager-2.jpg

Sam_184

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
1. No I don't

2. Status changes to: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Not Plugged In

3. ASUS zenith extreme x399: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/

With this motherboard you should have "Sonic Studio III" audio-tuning software, which does the same thing as Realtek Audio Manager. Try to adjust the HDMI volume in Sonic Studio.

Sonic-studioIII-ui-light.jpg

I'm not familiar with that software but the settings look O.K. to me.

I went back and looked at your original post, you say selected in the sound options to have the sound come out through the monitor.

How is the soundbar getting audio?
Does your monitor have any speakers built in?
Can you plug headphones in the monitors 3.5mm audio jack and hear sound?

Sam_184

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

honestly, I was thinking this myself... I just assumed it did have speakers, being that it cost over $1000 per monitor, also the fact that in the sound options, it allows me to select the monitor...

A lot of monitors accept audio in via hdmi, displayport & 3.5mm jack just to allow auto switching to the headphone port from different sources.
But dont actually have speakers at all themselves!

You surely have a pair of phones or earbuds , plug them into the headphone socket on the monitor .

If you get audio out of them then it's problem solved.

Sam_184

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

I don't have a soundbar, I ASSUMED the monitors had built in speakers but I am not sure at all about this.

I just plugged headphones into the monitor and I am getting sound.

For audio on your monitor you can plug a pair of computer speakers into the headphone jack.

Solution