Samsung 49" Ultrawide CHG90 - how to enable 144hz and flashing white pixels

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hey guys,
I just picked up a Samsung CHG90 and build a new rig for heavy workstation/office use.
I'm 90% using this for work and the other 10% I may play some games on this at the end of a work day to relax.
I want to enable the 144hz. Inside of the monitor options I'm seeing that im on a game mode with 144hz enabled, but when i check the information it says im at only 60hz connected to my computer.
When i check display adapter options within windows or nviida control panel i see 60hz as the ONLY option. I have an Asus ROG swift at home and have done 144hz and OC at 165hz and that was pretty easy/straight forward. But with this CHG90 i'm not sure what to do.

Also i'm getting popping/flashing white pixels on my desktop background. I would assume this could be a bad video card, but want to troubleshoot more before i say that.

This is over a displayport cable. I went into the monitor options to select the displayport version and it's on version 1.2. I was thinking maybe 1.3 is out now and that could be the issue? I dont see an option to change above 1.2, only 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2.

System specs:
i9-7900X, not OC'd yet
Asus Strix X299-E
64GB G.Skill 3200mhz
EVGA GTX 1080Ti Hyrbid
500gb Samsung 960 Evo 500gb

This is a pretty new monitor so there is not much info out there that i've seen yet.
Any help is very appreciated!
Thank you

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Just a follow up. As i've been using this system the screen now has been going on and off black. Also MSI afterburner won't work, something about a side-by-side issue. I googled that and was guided to updated C++, did that and nothing changed.

Anyway, i decided i felt like the video card was bad so grabbed a GTX 1080ti Strix card and swapped it out....still getting the random white pixels on my desktop background, but it doesnt seem like as many.

I'm now starting to feel like this monitor is bad.

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

Wow it does seem that this custom resolution inside of nvidia control panel may have worked.
I now was able to get 144hz on the windows setting drop down too.

The white flickering pixels also seem to be gone.

I had 2 other major issues we'll have to see if were solved with this.
1. Screen going completely black at least once every minute, like it's losing signal from the displayport cable.
2. I tried playing hearthstone yesterday on this computer and it was the laggiest game of hearthstone ive ever played. It was more laggy than on my cell phone. Mind you, this is on an i9-7900X, 64GB DDR4 3200mhz, and a GTX 1080ti. I'll retest this in a minute too.

Edit: game seems smooth like it should be now. I realize hearthstone is not a good test for gaming, but it was all i had tested so far. I'll test some pubg and smite later. So far no more black screens too.

I think this may have been the fix rustigsmed. I'll confirm and pick you as the solution at that point. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

rustigsmed

Distinguished

awesome to hear!!
fingers crossed everything works from here on in.

cheers

russ