Question Samsung 500GB SSD - 1 bad sector

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Hi guys and girls :)

I own Asus premium business notebook (B9400) with 2 SSD drives. Device is less than 2 years old.

Today I somehow discovered one of my very old files is inaccessible.

Long story short - the disc 2 (D) which is less important has 1 bad sector.

I tried chkdsk and Windows repair tool, but nothing helped.

Maybe I can also try resurface or repair in HDD Sentinel.

But my question is - should I sent this for repair under warranty? Does warranty cover 1 bad sector? Is it worth sending or I could continue using and montioring the state of this disc?

Thanks

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I did already... 2 times. Quote:

"0 KB in bad sectors."

However, somehow I don't see this result are reliable. Even when the bad sector was present (before the format), chkdsk sometimes found bad sector, sometimes not :(

Available Spare (Percent) = 99

This is telling you that your drive has used up 1% or less of its total spares. My analysis of Samsung's recent SATA models would suggest that 1% represents 10 sectors for a 1TB SSD and 40 sectors for a 4TB SSD. On this basis I expect that 1% for a 500GB SSD would correspond to 5 sectors.

Look at the high numbers for the "Media and Data Integrity Errors" and "Number of Error Information Log Entries".

Reactions: Keano16

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Available Spare (Percent) = 99

This is telling you that your drive has used up 1% or less of its total spares. My analysis of Samsung's recent SATA models would suggest that 1% represents 10 sectors for a 1TB SSD and 40 sectors for a 4TB SSD. On this basis I expect that 1% for a 500GB SSD would correspond to 5 sectors.

Look at the high numbers for the "Media and Data Integrity Errors" and "Number of Error Information Log Entries".

So, if I may ask for your conclusion?
Stop using the disc and send out for warranty :) ?

I don't know what to say. If they were my drives, I'd backup my data and keep watching those numbers for a little while longer. I suspect that you may have difficulty convincing Samsung to give you a replacement.

As for Media and Data Integrity Errors, if you read the same bad sector 100 times, does the error count increase by 1 or by 100 ???

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I can't read that now because now HDD tests gives me 0 bad sectors (after the format).

However now I will do some tests of this drive. First I will load it with tons of data (from certain backups). And then re-run the tests.

Luckily this notebook has 2 identical discs, so I am safe with my data.

USAFRet

Titan
No, not RAID1. This notebook has functionality RAID1 or RAID0. Mine is RAID0 :)
Each disc on its own!
Even worse!!

Your data is less safe than you think.
RAID 0 is striped across both physical drives. Not "Each disc on its own!"
Loss of either physical drive means ALL data in the array is lost.

(simplified)
For instance....the characters "Keano16"
Drive 1 has the K a o 6
Drive 2 has the e n 1

Loss of either drive means that word no longer exists.

And whoever set up this SSD RAID 0 ....well, I'l be nice and not say what I think.

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Even worse!!

Your data is less safe than you think.
RAID 0 is striped across both physical drives. Not "Each disc on its own!"
Loss of either physical drive means ALL data in the array is lost.

(simplified)
For instance....the characters "Keano16"
Drive 1 has the K a o 6
Drive 2 has the e n 1

Loss of either drive means that word no longer exists.

And whoever set up this SSD RAID 0 ....well, I'l be nice and not say what I think.

Oh sorry man... I am stupid. Not even Raid0.

My discs are not connected in any way. Two discs. Each disc its own partition. Sorry, my mistake.

But your explanation is great and good for others to read it in the future

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
One more good advice.

This notebook is not my main device.

I use PC. This notebook has PC's Dropbox.

On my local network I have NAS. Dropbox is regularly backed up to NAS.

And NAS is regularly backed up to external HDD (Toshiba 4TB).

Currently I have my data in 3 or 4 places (PC HDD, NAS, Dropbox).

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I don't know what to say. If they were my drives, I'd backup my data and keep watching those numbers for a little while longer. I suspect that you may have difficulty convincing Samsung to give you a replacement.

As for Media and Data Integrity Errors, if you read the same bad sector 100 times, does the error count increase by 1 or by 100 ???

p.s.

One more point. I don't have to convince Samsung. As far as I know, my relationship is with Asus and Asus representative (repair service provider) in my country. It may be easier path if you think replacement is necessary at this point.

See page 135 of the NVMe standard:

https://nvmexpress.org/wp-content/uploads/NVM-Express-1_4-2019.06.10-Ratified.pdf

Media and Data Integrity Errors:

Contains the number of occurrences where the controller detected an unrecovered data integrity error for the Endurance Group. Errors such as uncorrectable ECC, CRC checksum failure, or LBA tag mismatch are included in this field.

Number of Error Information Log Entries:

Contains the number of Error Information log entries over the life of the controller for the Endurance Group