Samsung 830 on a AsusP6 T Deluxe???

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I was ready to pull the trigger on the newegg deal for the Samsung 830 256g SSD When I realized that my Asus P6 T Deluxe mobo only supports Sata 2 (3 gig speed)
The Samsung SSD is a Sata 3 (6 gig speed) Would I be wasting money on this SSD knowing i will only run at a max speed of 3g?
I would assume that even bottle necked at 3g speed it would stil be way faster then my current HD

My current HD is a Western Digital Black series 640gig

I dont know much about the SSd's but I have read the Samsung is one of the best to get.

Thanks for your thoughts

Hitch

Solution
256 GB is plenty of space for windows and most of your programs. I rock 120GB and still have 30GB free. My suggestion is to install windows, etc. install your programs, update windows.

Then go to your user directory where the following folders are

Contacts
Desktop
Downloads
Favorites
Links
My Docs
My Music
My Pix
My Vid
Saved Games
Searches

Right click and select "Location" then re assign the location so it reads something like

D:\Links
D:\My Documents

Hit ok and it'll move that default directory and all of your user stuff will hop onto the spare storage drive which can be a slow old magnetic.

You do NOT want to move your desktop.
It'll work at SATA II speeds, it should be listed somewhere in the specs what those speeds "are."

No, you won't be wasting your money. You'll be impressed with any SSD over a HDD.

If you really want to get SATA III speeds, look into a RAID Card, like the one reviewed here: Highpoint 2720SGL RAID Controller

You don't have to RAID, but it'll get you into SATA III speeds. Your PCI bus can handle it. And it's "only" $160.00

No, you won't be wasting your money.
Going from a 640GB HDD to a 256GB SSD is like the difference between night & day. :)
Most people obsess over Read/Write speeds but forget about Access Time, which in SSDs is an order of magnitude faster than HDDs.

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Thanks for all the info, I pulled the trigger and bought the Samsung 830-256gig SSD
Now I just need to read up on how to set it up.
I have read about formatting other then a fat32
Plus I need to read up about what to do with my programs/games. I will now use the WD640gig HD as m y secondary slave drive. If I put most of my programs and games on my slave drive will I still benefit from the SSD speed? It would seem to me I wont because BF3 would be running on the old HD not the SSD with the lightning fast speed
Thoughts?

Thanks
Hitch

Do not manually format the drive. Let Windows format the drive during the installation process. Also, don't connect your WD HDD (or any other drive) until after you've installed Windows on your SSD.

Connect your SSD to port SATA1 and make sure the port is in AHCI mode before you begin the O/S installation.

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006

Thanks for those tips, What about installing my BF3 on my old drive, Will I still get the SSD speed benefit?

Hitch

No, you won't. You would have to install BF3 on your SSD. Installing games on SSDs won't give you faster FPS, only fast game loads and level load times.

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
256 GB is plenty of space for windows and most of your programs. I rock 120GB and still have 30GB free. My suggestion is to install windows, etc. install your programs, update windows.

Then go to your user directory where the following folders are

Contacts
Desktop
Downloads
Favorites
Links
My Docs
My Music
My Pix
My Vid
Saved Games
Searches

Right click and select "Location" then re assign the location so it reads something like

D:\Links
D:\My Documents

Hit ok and it'll move that default directory and all of your user stuff will hop onto the spare storage drive which can be a slow old magnetic.

You do NOT want to move your desktop.

Solution

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006

Thanks man, Im stoked, cant wait to get this thing installed

Nicely put XRWKEN! And aso move those folders from your User folder to the same above, from the old HDD, after you do above.

Make sure your SATA ports are set to ACHI, which they probably are.

And since Windows is on the HDD, unplug it before you install Windows to the SSD. Too many problems to list.

After Windows is all installed, then you can plug in the HDD, and delete the Windows stuff, Leaving just your "Libraries" on the root of the drive.

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006

Im doing this now, I was able to change the locations as you stated and double checked their location by right click on lets say music, then location, It does show the location on my E drive, but there is also another location c/public/music. This holds true for all the other folders, favs, vid, pix etc.
Do I need to do anything with those public file locations?
Also I have a folder "appdata" right clicking on that, I dont have a option for location, Any ideas?

thanks
Hitch

Leave "Public" alone, no need. They are not that big, if any size at all.

Leave "AppData" alone, it has to be on the boot drive. It should be hidden.

I should caught this earlier, but you didn't need to move Contacts, Desktop, Favorites, Links, Saved Games, Searches. Unless you want to "save" this info, in case your OS is lost. I just include these folders in my backups (of the User Folder).

And why the "E" drive, what is "D"? C should be the boot/OS/Program Drive, D the "Libraries" drive, E Optical Drive (if you have no other drives).

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I can move those folders back to default location
C drive is my ssd
D drive shows system reserve 99.9 MB. I have no idea what this is. I never had this with my old HD, maybe has something to do with ssd?
I'm running window 7 64 bit
E drive is my wd 640 gig HD I keep all my pics, PDF, music etc on
F drive is my CD rom

I need to buy backup software, the version of the Samsung 830 I bought did not come with Norton ghost, so I have no backup software

Thanks
Hitch

The system restore partition is a Windows feature. It contains data about booting your pc. It is a very small partition. Nothing to worry about.

You can use the Windows backup feature. Save your backups to your hard disk drive. Saving it to the hard disk is a space saving tweak.

Using Disk Management, is the system reserved on the SSD or a HDD?

start/computer/right-click/manage/disk management

It'll show all the drives, and there partitions.

You should have a hidden partition on the SSD, system reserved also. This is where the "boot" info is stored.

If you don't have it on the SSD also, then you have to leave it alone. Was the OS on this drive, and you didn't unplug it when you installed the OS to the SSD? No biggy, but you should hide that partition, so no one and nothing can mess it up!

Be very careful, let us know what Disk Management says.

As far as backup software, I use Microsoft SyncToy 2.1, and choose what I want to backup where. It does have to be manually run though. I back up all my Libraries, to a backup drive, and then to my wife's networked backup drive.

Then I tweak Windows and Norton Security Suite's backup, so I don't have multiple copies of the same stuff.

I learned a lesson by running out of space on a 2TB drive, as I had 3 copies of the same suff on the drive!

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Im pretty disappointed with the SSD, the only noticeable difference from my WD Black 640gig HD is start up and shut down.
I dont see any difference in BF3 map load times, excel, adobe etc.

Im starting to think the SSd only makes a big difference on older systems, not systems that are tweaked up like mine

Intel I7-920 cpu oc'd @3.8g w/ dark knight cooler
12 gig tri channel Jskill ripjaw memory oc'd @`1600
Asus P6t Deluxe mobo
EVGA GTX 580 super clocked gpu
Windows 7-64 bit,

Hitch