nerofive4

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I recently build a new pc with windows 8 and a samsung 830 128gb as the boot drive. I used the included Samsung magician software and Overprovisioned 8.9 GB. Unfortunately I see that it request the user reserve 11.9 GB of data for the drive, but since I have used the drive it shows no more space is available even though the drive is only 48% full (58GB). Is there a way to allow it to over provision the reccomended space with out reinstalling everything to the drive?

If not, is there a way to copy data from the drive, then reinstall it after overprovisioning the reccomended amount? (I have a second desktop I can use to interact with the drive, and plenty of space on numerous HDDs)

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
im not fully following you. i wouldn't even worry about overprovisioning the ssd. if all you did was make partitions you can go in Disk Managment and delete the partitions.

if samsung recommends you overprovision the ssd why don't they just ship it with the "spare area" like sandforce drives?

nerofive4

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

What part are you not following? I appreciate answers, but you provide no information. I dont know why they dont automatically overprovision, but if I were to guess I would say its tied to the marketed size of the drive. If the uneducated consumer got a 128gb drive and it came with less than 100gb off the bat, they probably would complain, or possibly try to return the drive.

Now as far as overprovisioning, I want to do it for two reasons, I have read several posts and an anandtech article that state it reduces write amplification, and thus extends the life of the drive. Reason number 2: I have a 256gb 830 drive in my large desktop that is correctly over provisioned, and it has faster read / write scores (I realize some of the difference is natural based on the size difference) but it also has no errors when I run the samsung optimization in the magician program, yet there are several in each post log when I execute the same procedure on my 128gb drive.

So those are my reasons why, if anyone can tell me info on how to quickly correct the overprovisioning issue, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
the anand article says as long as you are using an os with trim there is no reason to overprovision. just make sure you leave that much space empty. sandforce drive provision 8GB on all their drives. and the regular 840 also does because it uses TCL nand.

i don't follow the part about it not showing any more available space. what doesn't show any free space? windows or the samsung software?

nerofive4

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The drive has 60 gb free still, but magician does not allow me to op over 8.9 even though it suggests 11.9.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
i know with regular hdd's that if there is unmovable data at the end of the partition you wont be able to shrink it so you can extend the other one. im not sure if this also applies to ssd's.

try going in Disk Management in windows and right click the partition and extend. it will scan and tell you how much you can extend the partition by.

nerofive4

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I can shrink and expand the partition by 8.9 I will check in windows disk management when I get back to that computer. I am also going to contact samsung, since there has been errors in the system optimization function.