Samsung 840 evo only running at 3 GB/S

Solution
I'm virtually certain your SATA data cables are not the problem. For one thing it makes absolutely no difference whether the cables are designated as meeting the 3 Gb/s standard or the 6 Gb/s standard. There's been test after test over the years - all of which concluded unanimously that there was no difference in data transfer rates between these cables. All that's important is, of course, the SSD (all of which are 6 Gb/s drives) and connecting the drive to the appropriate motherboard's SATA port.

In any event the chances are you're using the SATA data cables included with your ASUS MB and naturally they are designated as SATA 6 Gb/s cables.

What concerns me in your situation is that I hope the problem you're experiencing isn't a...

THOMASHARRY

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

BIOS is fully updated, and have used 2 different SATA cables 1 of which is definitely 6GBPS and have swapped a few ports on the motherboard

I'm virtually certain your SATA data cables are not the problem. For one thing it makes absolutely no difference whether the cables are designated as meeting the 3 Gb/s standard or the 6 Gb/s standard. There's been test after test over the years - all of which concluded unanimously that there was no difference in data transfer rates between these cables. All that's important is, of course, the SSD (all of which are 6 Gb/s drives) and connecting the drive to the appropriate motherboard's SATA port.

In any event the chances are you're using the SATA data cables included with your ASUS MB and naturally they are designated as SATA 6 Gb/s cables.

What concerns me in your situation is that I hope the problem you're experiencing isn't a throwback to an earlier problem some years ago with the first generation Samsung SSDs having compatibility problems with AMD-based systems. Presumably those problems are a thing of the past with the latest generation of Samsung SSDs, so the problem you're experiencing is due to some other cause (which is difficult to fathom).

Of course ALL the SATA ports on your ASUS MB are 6 Gb/s capable so that's not the problem, i.e., one port may be defective.

Unless you've determined the cause in the meantime and have resolved the issue I think it would be a very good idea for you to contact both ASUS & Samsung tech support for some guidance.

Solution
Have you tried the drive on each and every SATA header on the board, or at least, all the native headers. I'd ignore any secondary headers. Your motherboard manual should tell you which are which. They may even ALL be native as I don't see anything indicating secondary or supplemental headers with different controllers like Marvell or ASmedia.

TRENDING THREADS