Samsung 840 EVO SSD: Tested At 120, 250, 500, And 1000 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely it would make sense to compare it to the vanilla SSD840. Also, there's no 840 Pro in the power charts.

While the 1TB drive coming down to ~65c/GB is nice, seeing the 120 GB drives get near there would be nice. Especially since this is meant to be the value king.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have 2 840 pro 512 GB SSD's (1 on my notebook 1 on my PC)

I got them on a sale on Newegg for around $500 for both of them. :)

A 1TB would be cool if I find it on sale....
or maybe I should try out writing a letter to someone fat in some weird red costume...

slomo4sho

Distinguished
The performance gap between the 840 Evo and 840 Pro is discouraging for the lower capacity models. I understand that the Pro is the flagship product but I was expecting less of a gap in in the 120GB models since this is a newer generation product and the 840 Pro is still based on the 21nm MLC NAND. However, the 1TB model is is a great choice for mass SSD storage. Lets hope the prices drop below $0.50 per GB soon.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Cost for performance = Very High . ofcourse its not going to perform like a Pro but for the cost im amazed its that much better than the Regular 840.

Glad this review also refutes the perception of low TLC write endurance in normal desktop workloads. Been using a 128GB 840 in a daily-use desktop for eight months now and the endurance counter hasn't decremented at all. I'll have replaced the entire rig long before it wears out.

Interesting review. I think the point to remember is that the 840 EVO is not a high end enthusiast ssd like the 840 Pro. Instead, consider the 840 EVO as a mainstream ssd suitable for most consumer and home office scenarios.

Interesting review. I think the point to remember is that the 840 EVO is not a high end enthusiast ssd like the 840 Pro. Instead, consider the 840 EVO as a mainstream ssd suitable for most consumer and home office scenarios.

joshua305

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Very interesting article. I would love to see it compared to m-500 in the charts as that seems to be the really direct competition. Is the caching feature in magician windows only? No OSX or Linux?

joshua305

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Very interesting article. I would love to see it compared to m-500 in the charts as that seems to be the really direct competition. Is the caching feature in magician windows only? No OSX or Linux?

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
The question is, does it suffer from the sudden bricking some SSD (including the 840 Pro) experience? And is RAPID the first fruit from the Nvelo acquisition? If so that is a data-loss bonanza. I hope Tom's can check into that further as promised.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Nice, but I still run an X58 system, with slower SATA, so I can't take advantage of this.

Samsung: I need this drive with 2 SATA connectors so it makes possible to create a virtual RAID, and squeeze the drive performance.

Is clear that newer drivers are bottlenecked by the fastest SATA, so out of PCIE drives, virtual RAIDS are necessary.

MC_K7

Distinguished
I really like that the new Evo 120GB is able to achieve 410 MB/s of write speed! That's such a big jump from the disappointing 130 MB/s of the previous 840 it replaces. When you think about it that was pretty much the same write speed as a mechanical drive lol.

MC_K7

Distinguished
I really like that the new Evo 120GB is able to achieve 410 MB/s of write speed! That's such a big jump from the disappointing 130 MB/s of the previous 840 it replaces. When you think about it that was pretty much the same write speed as a mechanical drive lol.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Sorry for the double-post guys the website is acting funny. I got "an error occurred" after trying to post the first comment, but it looks like it went through anyways.

cryan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
You don't get the 120 GB's 410 MB/s all the time, but you should get a substantial increase in day to day activity. If you look at the Robocopy results, you'll see that if you try copying 16.2 GB worth of stuff it's not much faster. On the other hand, if you're just copying a few GB from one drive to another, the EVO 120 GB can be almost as fast -- almost -- as the 840 Pro.

Regards,
C. Ryan

lp231

Splendid
What's with this EVO name in almost very product?
Evo this, Evo that. I'm going to my local Walbaum's and make sure the dozen eggs I buy says "Evo" on it. :p
A bit expensive for the Samsung Evo 500GB when Crucial M4 sell at $299 (last time I've checked) And 7mm is a bit thick, when WD already made 5mm SSHD also know as Hybrid Drive.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Samsung being taken out by SANDISK? WT F ? oh oh , i thought Samsung wanted to take over the world? I like how the samsung metal look though .

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Samsung being taken out by SANDISK? WT-F ? oh oh , i thought Samsung wanted to take over the world? I like how the samsung metal look though .

Status
Not open for further replies.