Samsung 850 Evo 1TB showing up as 120 GB

ashtonclewis

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Hello,

I just purchased an 850 EVO from Best Buy to replace in my 2012 13" Macbook Pro. Yesterday before the install, I checked it to see if it was working by connecting it via a toaster, and it read as 120GB. Odd, but I decided to roll with it as I knew there may be something wonky going on with Samsung firmware, etc, and went ahead and formatted that 120GB as OS X Extended (Journaled). I assumed that once I installed it, the rest of the drive would show up in Disk Utility.

I burned a copy of the Samsung 850 EVO firmware to a disc, and just replaced hard drives, and immediately after placed the firmware disc in the drive. It said no compatible hard drive was detected. So I pulled it out and put in the OS X install disc. After some trouble, I got to Disk Utility, and sure enough: the Samsung Drive is showing up as 120 GB capacity, no partitions. AND it's reading as a 750 EVO!

I ran Verify Disk and Repair Disk and nothing turned up.

Help! Did I just get one pulled over on me or is something wrong with how I'm installing?

I've done a bunch of Google searching on this, but nothing seems to fit this situation.

Thanks much!

Solution

Possibly, yes.
Maybe swapped the innards, and returned a 120GB 750 inside a 1TB 850 body.
BB puts it back on the shelf without testing...you buy it.

Also, look at the SMART data for Power On hours and Power On counts.
If it has been 'turned on' more times than you did...not good.

ashtonclewis

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Are you referring to the model code?
MZ-75E1T0

I paid about $303 for the drive after an Amazon price match and tax.
I'll work on that screenshot. Currently on my smartphone as my laptop is stuck in disk utility on Install Disk.

USAFRet

Titan

Possibly, yes.
Maybe swapped the innards, and returned a 120GB 750 inside a 1TB 850 body.
BB puts it back on the shelf without testing...you buy it.

Also, look at the SMART data for Power On hours and Power On counts.
If it has been 'turned on' more times than you did...not good.

Solution

ricardo.osmel

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018

ricardo.osmel

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Same thing happened to me today at Best Buy. Worst! I purchased an 850 1tb and didn't work. Swapped for another and everything states it's a 1tb but the computer reads as a 120gb....???? Says 1tb on the drive and the box, it's hard to believe that someone or a group of people are doing this on purpose. The box was completely sealed.

SundownEditing

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
I highly suggest you complain to the Best Buy you bought it from and demand them for a replacement, and with the screenshot proof. I have a feeling you either bought a super sketchy preowned drive or a swapped drive. Either way it seems that you were cheaped out of your money, whether it was on sale or discounted or not, and I don't think you should have to waste your time trying to fix a problem that wasn't caused by you. Hope this helps :)