Samsung 850 EVO 500GB serious slowdown after 2 months

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I bought my 850 EVO 500GB in march and have brand new windows 8.1 installation on it. At the beginning, the SSD is super quick and the samsung magician with RAPID enabled, gives whopping performance benchmarks.

However, recently my system is feeling sluggish at times, and thus I went back to magician to optimize and run benchmark again. I have run the performance optimization, OS optimization settings ensured to be at Maximum Performance mode, firmware ensured to be latest. But still gives the following unbelievably slow results.

Magician results:
tyW0g00

http://imgur.com/tyW0g00

AS SSD MB results:
V6Rz9wA

http://imgur.com/V6Rz9wA

AS SSD IOPS results:
jbuiGCo

http://imgur.com/jbuiGCo

Please help. Not sure if this is a tuning issue or a hardware issue. Thanks!
(p.s. Sorry I am new to posting on forum and dont know how to post images directly on post.)

My system spec:
CPU: Intel i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz
Ram: 2 x 8GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
MB: Asus P8H61-M PRO
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Plugged into SATA 3 port, RAPID mode on, at Maximum Performance setting, @10% OS provisioning setting)
Graphics: Gigabyte Geforce 660

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I have also tried to set the virtual memory to 200MB to 2GB as instructed by Magician and disabled System Restore, but no luck.

Please kindly help as the super low IOPS is affecting my normal usage already. For example, if I am downloading something, my USB headphone will start having breaking sound. The sound gets normal once the SSD is not heavily loading.

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015
Thanks. I tried to search online. The best I can find is the 840 EVO performance restoration tool. However that doesnt work on my 850 EVO.

I am wondering if my issue is as same as the 840 EVO one, as not only the read performance, the write performance is also greatly impacted, much more than what was found by others online.

Palorim12

Distinguished
If it was the same issue as the 840 EVO, just your read would be slow, not also your write. The fact that the drive is making noise when you write someting means there's something defective with the drive. I'd get that replaced ASAP.

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015

The drive itself is not making noise. Just that when the SSD is loading, it will make the sound in my USB headphone breaking. However, if I plug in a 3.5mm earphone it is not affected. This is as strange as it can get.

Now the read and write performance are both ridiculously low. Feeling like going back to HDD age.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
What are your performance numbers without Rapid?
DRAM-Cache enabled charts aren't really useful, for trouble checking ;)

After checking the Asus website I think I know your problem:
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller

I would try to connect the SSD to integrated Intel controller, which could rise the IO performance. Usually sequential performance can't be felt but IOPS can :)

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015

Hi, I have diagnosed in many additional ways as below.

1) Bring the SSD with the SATA cable to another machine, connected to SATA3 port. Boot up with another HDD on that machine and tested the Samsung SSD, the speed is very fast, all the figures are close to what Samsung advertised.

Conclusion: The Samsung SSD itself and the SATA cable used are not defective

2) Bring the SSD back to my own machine, connected to SATA3 port. Boot up with another HDD on my machine and tested the Samsung SSD, the speed is very fast, all the figures are close to what Samsung advertised.

Conclusion: My motherboard is not defective.

3) Plugged the Samsung SSD to SATA2 port on my motherboard, the test speed is still as slow as my first thread.

Conclusion: The problem persists no matter I connected to the ASMedia 1061 controller or the integrated intel controller

Thus, from what I have observed, as long as I boot up with another OS on another HDD, the test speed would be much faster. I am not sure what from my OS would possibly cause such behavior. Any ideas? I dont want to reinstall my OS so easily as I am not sure if this would fix the problem. Thanks everyone for your help!!!