Samsung 850 EVO drive not recognized by data migration program

Fogandrust54

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Trying to install Samsung 850 EVO into Acer desktop, with Windows 7. Plugged Anker sata/usb adapter with SSD in, driver loaded. When trying to use Samsung data migration program, SSD target is not identified. Device manager indicates USB mass storage "not started". I have read the posts here and have not seen similar issue. Have reinstalled the Samsung software twice, with same issue. Any thoughts?

It appears there's some sort of problem involving the USB external device. You mention "driver loaded". What driver are you referring to? There is ordinarily no need to install a "driver" involving a USB external device.

Also, have you checked your Acer's BIOS to determine whether there's a setting involving disabling USB capability?

hottoast

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I'm having a similar problem.

* I have an Anker USB sata/usb adapter.
* When I stick a samsung 850 EVO into it, I get an error (code 10) in the device manager.
* When I stick a seagate 2TB drive into it, that drive detects just fine. I can manage that drive in Computer Management > Disk Management

I guess the SSD might be defective, but is there anything else that might be an issue? The Anker adapter appears not to be the issue.

hottoast

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
This is only a theory but do you have a USB 3.0 port you can use for experimental purposes? I can see how a certain amount of wastage of speed of a SSD using USB 2.0 which got me wondering if that's why it won't even start.

I do have two USB 3.0 ports. I've tried the adapter in both of the 3.0 ports, as well as various 2.0 ports. No dice.

I should mention that I'm on Windows7. I haven't installed the samsung data migration software at all, so I believe this is a problem at the OS level or with the SSD drive itself. If I can't figure this out my next step is to crack open the case and hook the SSD straight into the motherboard.

Or I guess I could try the adapter/drive on another computer. Yeah, that would probably be smarter.