Question Samsung 850 EVO failed after ongoing strange boot issues? 3 years old

Mar 17, 2019
Hi All,

I am having issues with what I think is a failed SSD, however it has had some strange issues over the last few months leading up to this.

The EVO 850 500gb is just under 3 years old as has not had any issues whatsoever, up until about 4 or so months ago. I recently bought a second, new SSD (EVO 860 500gb) which I needed to expand my storage needs.Shortly after (I can't remember how much longer after) I encountered a weird issue where I booted up the PC, and it went straight to the "Reboot and select proper boot device" screen. I had never seen this before so I restarted, then all was well.

This started happening more, and I noticed once I went into the BIOS before it could happen that sometimes the original 850 drive wasn't detectable at all, only the new 860 which has no OS on it. Other times it would detect the original 850, but it would not boot it automatically, I would have to choose it from the list in BIOS to boot and then all is good. This went on for a few months where it was a 50-50 chance where it would boot normally, or I would have to select the drive from BIOS to boot up

Now however, the 850 is not being detected, or recognised after countless reboots. I have swapped sata cables, power cables and changed the port positions but no luck. Everything works on the 860, but the 850 is not detected at all. I find it weird because I never had problems once booted up, just detecting it in the first place.

Anyone have experience with issues like this, or have any ideas? I have tried the power cycle repair but it hasn't had any effect.

Thanks!

edit my specs -
Intel Core i5 6500
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (drive in question)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 650W Power Supply
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-2400C15D-16GRR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
MSI 1080

Last gasp ? I would see if it works in another machine. I would see what Samsong Magician says about it, even if the drive is recognized. I would prepare to be disappointed . If it ever reappears, grab your data before it disappears again.

USAFRet

Titan
Sometimes things just die. Sometimes, quite suddenly.
Try it in a different system, as a secondary drive. Or with a USB dock.

If still no luck, contact Samsung for a warranty replacement.

I recently had a SanDisk 960GB do exactly the same. All of a sudden, just 'gone'. Nothing I did could make it appear.
The 600+GB of data on it was no problem, because that gets backed up every night.

Contacted SanDisk, they sent me a replacement, even though it was 33 days past the 3 year warranty period.

Mar 17, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I definitely think it’s gone, just the fact that previously it would ‘disappear’ then reappear a few reboots later made me hopeful it might come back. But I probably should have taken that as a warning and proactively prepared a new drive!

I’ll try load an OS onto the new drive and see if I can use Samsung magician to see anything