Samsung 850 EVO SSD not found on Bio / Disk manager / Device manager

karanoz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Hi,

Recently bought a SSD Samsung 850 EVO, which does not appear anywhere in the BIO, Disk manager or Device manager.

I will list the following steps I have and HAVE NOT taken

• • I started the whole thing by connecting the SSD via SATA to a port. This did not work.
    • I then followed the guide and installed the Samsung Magician / Data transfer but did not receive any USB connector for the SSD in the box, and thus did not transfer any data.
    • I restarted computer.
    • I turned off computer and switched SATA port, this did not work.

I did not upgrade BIOS, nor could I update the SSD via Samsung Magician since I havent completed any data-transfer.
    I have not flushed the driver since I cannot find it in Disk Manager.
    I have not tried my 2 currently SATA ports in use by my HDD or other SDD

Looking for some sort of explanation as to why I cannot see the SSD on my BIOS boot or any managers, other than faulty hardware / BIOS update / faulty SATA port.

Thanks.

Solution
Fret not fellow nerds, for I have found the solution.

You see, on the back of the SSD where you connect the SATA cable, you also connect it to the PSU.
This was overlooked (forgotten) by me. But now I have found my SSD and no return trip to the store should be necessary.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
make sure you properly plugged in the sata data port from the mobo and the sata power cable from the psu. in your BIOS, was your sata mode in AHCI? did you enable the sata ports? if you already did this and your disk isnt even detected. return it to the shop.

what motherboard are you using? you reall yneed to get the latest bios if your mobo is old. or it will never see your ssd.

karanoz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

The mobo is MSI Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971)

As for the BIOS settings, its set to AHCI, and SATA ports 1,3 and 5 are marked as "Not Present" and I believe its connected to either one of those three.

karanoz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Fret not fellow nerds, for I have found the solution.

You see, on the back of the SSD where you connect the SATA cable, you also connect it to the PSU.
This was overlooked (forgotten) by me. But now I have found my SSD and no return trip to the store should be necessary.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS