Samsung 850 EVO SSD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph_2

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I just purchased the Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Like many people on this forum, I'm connecting it with a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA SSD cable as instructed by the manufacturer. Installed the software as instructed but neither the software, nor windows explorer detects the drive. I've tested the unit on another windows 7 machine (this one is W10). I'm thinking the unit is faulty but see that so many people have the same problem it can't be a co-incidence that this happens across so many different OS and set ups?

Two of my new Samsung 850 EVO SSDs had similar issues on my Z77 desktop. And like you I thought that the drives were DOA.

Then I connected them (one at a time) to another desktop and I was able to see them and format them.

After formatting, I moved one Samsung SSD to the Z77 computer and everything was fine. It still is fine; optimized too! The other Samsung SSD I installed in a laptop, and it is running fine.

I don't know why this issue happened, but the fix was simple. I suggest that you try the same.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

I think that you, like many, are just expecting the drive to show up and be usable immediately.
You need to partition and format any new drive, standard HD or SSD.

Check if it shows up in disk management, right click on it and partition it.

It is not this straight forward. It does not show up in Disk management on my Z77 Win 7 desktop, and there is no way to partition it or format it. However, it did show up on another Win 7 desktop and I was able to format it with no problems.

Strange, but real!

Status
Not open for further replies.