Samsung 850 (Non-Pro/EVO) And 860 EVO Appear Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I'm glad to see that Samsung hasn't abandoned the 2.5'' SATA format. I'm really curious to know if they plan to use new controllers with these drives.

TLC flash memory has adequate endurance for 95% of all users but I've read (here) that endurance lowers by a factor of 10 when you add an additional level to the memory. I'm concerned that QLC memory will have a limited user base due to the limited number of endurance cycles.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

If the price-to-density ratio is right, QLC could be affordable enough to really put the hurt on HDDs for consumer bulk storage. I still haven't bought an SSD larger than 240GB, because the value just isn't there at the 500GB+ level (for me).

lahma

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
I've had at least a 1TB SSD for my main desktop (gaming PC) and at least a 500GB SSD for my primary laptop since sometime around the release of the 840 Evo. To be honest, it's hard for me to imagine having any less SSD storage space and it still being practical. Even with this much space, I still feel like I'm constantly shuffling things between my spinning disk RAID storage and my SSD so I don't run out of space on my SSDs. I think I can manage this situation until the NAND shortage is resolved and the higher capacity SSDs (2TB, 4TB) no longer carry such a premium price point. With PC games now that are regularly 30GB-100GB, and the large amounts of storage that can be used by working between multiple VMs running different platforms and having the need to store many snapshots simultaneously, 1TB of space just doesn't feel like that much space anymore.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

1TB is plenty of space for gaming home use. For the majority of people, it's more than you'll need for a long time.

Of course, there's a reason why Samsung produces SSDs that are larger. It seems like you're the kind of person who needs that extra oomph.

Magnumload

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
1TB would be great if you had internet that could just redownload your games lickity split. I on the other hand don't. I have a 500gb 850evo that I just shuffle around between my 3 other HDDS, I also run my plex server on this PC. I have 6TB of space between my drives and I'll need more space by next year. I'm running out of HDD slots so I'll have to get 6tb or up and consolidate.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

I don't know if this will be true in the real world, but from what I've been hearing QLC will have about the same total data writes, just fewer write cycles. If it comes down to choosing between a 512GiB drive with 100TiB of writes or an 8TiB drive with 100TiB of writes, I know what I'll be choosing. Facebook was talking about this tech years ago saying they were looking at something like 25TiB drives with four write cycles.

I would probably stay away from QLC as a boot drive. I could see file systems being tweaked to never truly delete data.

Status
Not open for further replies.