Samsung 850 Pro 4TB Coming To CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Would Samsung please come out with an EVO 850 Pro 2TB mSATA for people that do not have fancy new M.2 slots........ like really. And does this mean that the 4TB Evo 850's will drop in price, I mean $1,399 is a little steap for 4TB or storage.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Serious question. What advantages do hyper capacity SSDs offer over traditional hard drives for data storage?

I know SSDs offer huge speed boosts for loading the OS and applications but SSDs have a write limit and limited life span compared to HDDs.

sanguy

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
A few points to make to your question:

1. have you ever tried to get your X# of TB off a failing HDD? That is nightmare if you are not using RAID

2. Using a SSD for hypercapacity storage will likely result in few write operations if you are mostly storing static data. The write limits are pretty massive, you would be unlikely to come close to hitting that limit even if your data was constantly being "groomed" or updated.

3. Regardless of either SSD or HDD, I prefer to store my important data on raid protected systems. Huge SATA drives take days to rebuild especially with low end raid cards. With SSD rebuild time is much lower meaning your exposure to risk is much lower.

4. SSD if you have concerns about the drive just evacuating the data is much quicker.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Nope. I have backups.

I have backups of my important data. Backups minimize risk exposure no matter what.

I have backups, I never need to evacuate data.

Now seriously, independently of SSD/HD, and RAID/noRAID you should ALWAYS have (multiple) backups of your important data.
No RAID will protect you if your brother/girlfriend/son/wife/motherinlaw accidentally/intentionally erases the system file, or from your PC catching fire or falling out of the window. Most data loses are caused by human intervention, and RAID does not help there.

At work, where i really have important data, I have everything on SSD in my local PC, I regularly make backups from SSD to HD (in same PC). Periodically (specially when I have new important data) I backup everiting to my corporate storage system (wich is highly redundant and located in a different building) and my company makes backup of its storage sysem on tape (tape is stored in a different building).

LeeRains

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
Samsung has been caught price fixing and manipulating markets, what, 4 or 5 times over the last decade and a half? Not sure they should be boasting so loudly about their massive lead in the solid state storage market...

Status
Not open for further replies.