Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb not showing up anywhere?

Hirohamster

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
So I've got a Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb SSD, plugged it in to a 6Gb/s port with 6gb/s cable, connected power (in the slave position, but this shouldn't affect the software issue) and installed Samsung's Data Migration and Magician software. I was advised by Samsung help (which wasn't overly helpful) to go into Disk Management, when I did it said I need to initialise the disk with either MBR or GPT formatting schemes. After investigation, I chose GPT as I have Windows 10.

Since then, nothing has changed; I've checked the BIOS and the SSD isn't even a boot option (only HDD and DVD Drive), Magician says it recognises it, but I'm not sure if it's just pre-installed to reflect what is *should* see and I can't see it in any file explorer or disk management (that I know of).

One more thing, because my HDD is 1Tb I don't want to be transferring all data to the SSD: there wouldn't be enough room. Ideally, I want my OS on there and then games, but I can transfer those at a later stage.

Can anybody please help me?

Thanks in advance,
- Martin

Solution
Hey there, Hirohamster!

I'd recommend checking if you had the SATA mode configured in AHCI for the SSD in the BIOS. Another thing you should try is resetting BIOS as it might help you recognize the SSD properly afterwards. Afterwards, you will need to re-configure any manual changes you have made in the settings. Check again the SATA mode and boot priority. I'd also recommend going to the motherboard manufacturer's official website and making sure that you got the latest SATA controller & Chipset drivers installed from there. While on it, take a look at the BIOS version and update it, if necessary.

If you plan to clone the OS to the SSD, you can use a cloning tool that would allow you to manually select what gets transferred to the SSD (just the OS, right?).
However, if you want to do a clean install, keep in mind that the HDD should be unplugged from the SATA ports. Otherwise, you might encounter an OS Confusion which would scatter the system files across both the SSD & the HDD. This tends to cause some booting issues.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Palorim12

Distinguished

If Disk Management sees the drive, and you were able to initialize and format it, then it is being detected by the system. You can't boot to a drive that has nothing on it.

Just boot to a Windows installation DVD or USB and install the OS onto the drive.

Solution