Samsung 850 Pro SSD Corrupted Firmware Fix: Read first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doograham

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Hello, so i posted here yesterday about the problem written on the title and after long hours of searching and waiting i have found a fix.. But it has a requierment: Another Identical 850 Pro SSD of any size. But i say something in the end so try to read till the end :). Anyways, here it is

Fix confirmed from 1st source:

Like others, I ran Samsung Magician firmware update and poof...like magic...my SSD OS and data disappeared. Wondered why they called it Magician until that moment. Tech support: We will just RMA it....no sorry for the trouble we caused...we will erase all data before we look at the drive. Yeah, right.
Problem: SSD no longer recognized by bios or Samsung firmware tools...drive not found. My bios recognized something there but not functional and would not allow me to boot to OS even when bad SSD attached to working system.
Fix: So happened I had an identical 1tb SSD and an identical computer system. Using Samsungs dos boot firmware update utility I booted to the cd (please make note to change parameters in bios to boot compatible cd drive. I let the dos program run (now able to identify the uncorrupted ssd) up to the point where it asked me if I wanted to flash the drive by typing "y". I hot swapped the good ssd for the corrupted one and hit y all the way to reboot....getting a mismatch error. After a couple of short prayers I took the drive out and put it back in the original computer and shazaam...my OS is back completely intact.
Notes: After successful restoration I noted Magician was sluggish to recognize the drive but today the program recognized it quickly. Guessing the change in the firmware not recognized until online update now change to recognize both versions as current (as my other drive with previous firmware also recognizes original firmware as current) I cancelled my RMA request with Mr. David Mourão at Total Tech Solutions, Inc who later asked for more details as to how I recovered.
Hope this helps....if you know where to get an identical drive your in business (don't think identical computer necessary...but must be able to hot swap drives...may have to enable hot swap capability in bios first). Other thoughts drives may have to be partitioned identically for this to work....but not sure if this will make a difference.

Fix confirmed by 2nd source:

Ok, i'm just back to my 850 Pro..all seem fine. I've just followed this instruction. So thanks AJHII.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php…
Prerequisite: Another SSD similar to the broken one and for me, another pc (i got a N55JK) my coworker a Fujitsu Desktop.
I've downloaded the software from googlecache (samsung removed from the site, lol?) at this link: http://www.samsung.com/…/Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_EXM02B6Q_Win_M…
Created a bootable USB with Rufus and followed the istruction on the post, hot swap of the SSD and flashed the FW untile reboot is asked (it give a missmatch errror..)
PowerOFF\POWER on the system an the SSD come back fully operational (no data loss) and with the new firmware..
Installed again on my laptop and everything is like 2 days ago.
P.S.
Magician installed on my coworkers do not permit to upgrade the FW, they still got the EXM01B6Q.

You will either need to make a bootable CD using a program like WinIso, PowerIso,
or make a bootable USB using programs such as Rufus etc.

Okay so that's that but

So as said in the start of this post you need an Identical drive to do this.. Sadly i do not have another identical ssd.. I tried a couple of things seeing if i could get a work around not having another ssd by means of letting the firmware load then hot swapping my HDD SATA connection to my SSD and pressed enter.. Didn't work as i thought! As it said no supported SSD's detected.. BUT I was wondering if it is possible to tamper with the firmware files so that you have the option to automatically flash what is connected (850 Pro SSD but now known as 3ckckck or the Broken SSD) and not have to scan.. Here is what im talking about.

Q7sRP9b.png

If someone know hows to tamper with them and if its possible and try to create what i just said above this, then alot of people (Mostly people that do not have a back up identical drive) would be saved from this problem! ;l

Btw here are the links to the firmware (Which is now gone from the site): http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/software/Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_EXM02B6Q_Win_Mac.iso.

Only updating from magician seems to break it though.

Edit: I just read in another post in the storage forums that samsung is currently trying to make a fix for this (Broken SSD's). Another firmware probably?

youcanDUit

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
it says that the firmware is broken. it installs but it says it's broken. i restart and nothing. i have a friends card. the same pro 128 gb. i was wondering if reverting it back to the old firmware would work. i keep thinking i'm missing a step. but the outcome is broken firmware !!!!!. so i'm wondering if the older/stock firmware would work. i used rufus, put the .iso provided on a usb. i put the new ssd on there. waited for the program to recognize the new ssd. swapped the ssd with the corrupted. pressed yes to start the update. and it says broken firmware!!!!!! anything i did wrong? also, i tried to look for the anandtech post from up top but no luck.

nate3654

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I tried and it told me the firmware versions didn't match. But i was able to get the original iso to update using another 850.

Status
Not open for further replies.