Samsung 850 SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Samsung released a new 850 SSD in China, but this may be a new model coming to the rest of the world. With up to 540 MB/s sequential read and 520 MB/s sequential write performance, this would be a popular SSD.

Samsung 850 SSD Review : Read more

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
ha shortage my BUTT it's a cash cow right now as everyone is trying to switch over so why not make a few extra billion of gullible people just like everything else the fabs the money the time and investment is already there for years yet prices hiked bogusly, no one can convince me otherwise same with the GAS shortage all a bunch of BS to make extra billions to screw the population over PERIOD. Oh just like the LCD TV panel shortage HA then 4 companies including Samsung sued for 1 billion for strong holding the market. Practice as usual the elite finding new ways to make themselves more rich and powerful.

USAFRet

Titan
So how is this new and different from the current 850 EVO drives?
This, from my existing 850 EVO:
mXZio2K.png

Yes, mine is a 500GB vs the test subject of 128GB, but just because there is a different TLA at the end of the model number does not make it 'better'.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Please try to report the power-off data retention time of SSDs you review. As bits are being packed more densely, I suspect this number is falling and might already be low enough to cause issues for some people. For one MLC SSD I own, it's just 3 months.

Jeffs0418

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

How does one determine Power-off data retention time without TIME? That would fall under the Long-Term test.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Would be interesting to see how this compares to the old 840 and 840 Pro, and indeed the 830, see whether the competition has at least caught up to those older models (excluding the 840 EVO, too many issues with performance degradation over time).

fanafirmino

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Must I endure a video of someone playing games everytime I hit your homepage??? Come on, there must be another way, guys!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It should be specified by the manufacturer, as in the case of my Intel drive. If it's not in the datasheet, then I would like the author to contact the manufacturer and ask them what it is. This will also hopefully send the message that people care about this attribute, and perhaps they'll be more mindful of it.

Jeffs0418

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

For a manufacturer to provide that info(attribute) with any certainty would extend R&D time unnecessarily. That would be impractical in today's competitive tech market.
Reports of extended Power-off data loss is quite rare as far as I'm aware. Probably because an overwhelming majority of snappy storage(SSD's) users actually don't use them for unpowered long-term storage.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Why do you think that? In order to estimate endurance, SSD vendors need a pretty good model of the flash memory they're using.

Moreover, power-off data retention is a design parameter of the flash memory circuitry, which the chip maker needs to test in some fashion probably before they even ramp up volume production. Remember that NAND flash is a charge storage device, so all you need to do is look at the self-discharge rate. It's not like you have to wait however many months or years it takes for the data to become unreadable.

I doubt that. I've had laptops that've sat unused for months at a time. I'm sure there are enough people that leave devices powered off for weeks or months that it matters.

Jeffs0418

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

My bad. I stand corrected :)
Sorry about my miserable multi-quote attempt...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.