[SOLVED] Samsung 860 EVO 1TB or Kingston 960GB A400 for an external SSD

mangaman

Honorable
I'm planning on building my own external SSD but I'm stuck on two drives to choose from. I'm going to be storing pictures, gave saves, videos and games on the drive. I won't be using Macrium Reflect to create an image of my PC on the SSD, as I have a external 3tb 3.5" hard drive for that. I will not buy an already prefabricated external SSD as those are more expensive per GB than just DIYing it. Also, they have preinstalled crap ware which I absolutely do not like.

The Samsung 860 EVO drive is around $109 on Amazon. It's a bit expensive, but has it's own DRAM for faster data transfer, has 550MB/s read and 520MB/s write, as well as a 600TBW lifespan for the 1TB model.

The Kingston 960GB A400 drive is $89 on Amazon. It's $20 less expensive, but has no DRAM, has up to 500MB/s read and 450MB/s write, as well as a 300TBW life span for the 960GB model. It's also 40GB less than the Samsung EVO.

The controller will be THIS, as it not only looks nice but also has the ASM235CM chip which is also used in Samsung's T5 external SSD, as well as the San-disk Extreme Portable SSD.

So, should I just bit the bullet and get the Samsung, or save $20 on the Kingston?

mangaman

Honorable
Yes, get the Samsung.
Although I think an SSD is mostly a waste in that use case, vs a spinner.

I also do need faster storage for file transfers, so I really would not consider it a waste. I may not have mentioned it, but I do plan on using the drive everyday, or every other day for tasks. Plus SSD speeds compared to hard drive speeds are a night and day difference.

USAFRet

Titan
I also do need faster storage for file transfers, so I really would not consider it a waste. I may not have mentioned it, but I do plan on using the drive everyday, or every other day for tasks. Plus SSD speeds compared to hard drive speeds are a night and day difference.
Yes, I know. My systems are all SSD only.

I'm just looking at your USB interface and the type of files on it. Speed is dependent on the slowest device in the chain.
A 1 hour video takes 1 hour, no matter if on HDD or SSD.

But yes, get the Samsung.