Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD Trouble!

wishsdark

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Here's the deal,
I bought a brand new samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd and installed it into my computer.
The computer recognised the hardware in the device manager so i went into the system manager to assign the ssd to a new drive path. All of that was pretty straightforward untill i wanted to migrate my OS (windows 10) onto my new ssd. I used a software called 'Macrium Reflect' to clone my original hdd and move it onto the new ssd because i didn't want to reinstall windows completely, but the software seemed to be stuck whilst it was transferring the files so i decided to hit the 'cancel' button and try again and from there the trouble began! After i cancelled it i went back to the system manager and i saw that the ssd was once again unassigned, so i once again reassigned it and then i got the error message stating 'The volume was made but not formatted. try formatting again through the task 'format''. After i closed that error message i immediately got a follow-up error message saying 'the volume was made but there is no drive path assigned to the volume. Try to assign a drive path through the task 'change drive letter and path'' so i did that and the ssd showed up again but there was no volume attached to it, and when i tried to open it i got the error message saying 'D:/ is not accissible. The device is not ready.' so my initial idea was that the software i used to migrate my files might have corrupted my ssd when i cancelled the migration by leaving small pieces of data onto the ssd that are incomplete, so i tried to format the ssd by right clicking on it and choosing the option 'format' but that gave me another error message saying 'could not complete format'. At this point i am frustrated and out of ideas on how to fix this tedious issue. Currently i payed 112 euros for a paper weight...

Here are some pictures of all the error messages i keep on getting (note that they are in dutch but i tried my best to translate them so it shouldn't make much of a problem to understand them)

1) The volume is created but not formatted. Try the formatting agin through the task 'Format'.
bW6z2yx.png

2) The volume is created but there is no drivepath assigned to the volume. Try to assign the drivepath through the task 'Change stationletter and path'.
Me55gZN.png

3) Unable to complete format.
bQmtUw8.png

4) Local drive (D:) has no name or volume assigned to it even tho it does show up after assigning a drivepath to it.
uPMNHjz.png

5) Picture of the computer managment screen showing that the ssd is there with an assigned path to it.
asTK78N.png

6) Picture of the Device manager screen showing that the ssd is being recognised.
2l2XmQQ.png

Solution
Did you install samsung magician and update to the latest firmware before any of this?

Use magician to secure erase the drive and start over.

Edit: also, how much of that 3tb drive is in use? Can’t clone a larger amount of data to a smaller ssd.
Did you install samsung magician and update to the latest firmware before any of this?

Use magician to secure erase the drive and start over.

Edit: also, how much of that 3tb drive is in use? Can’t clone a larger amount of data to a smaller ssd.

Solution

wishsdark

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

I didnt know about the samsung magician software. I will try it out immediately!
Currently there is 43gb in use.

Do not over complicate things.
Download and run the Samsung ssd migration tool.
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/consumer/

This is a C drive mover app, not a clone app which is a bit for bit copy.
It will erase whatever is on the ssd and replace it with a functionally correct copy of your C drive.
When done, Just boot from the new C drive.

wishsdark

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

i secure erased the ssd. Should i now just reassign the ssd to a drive path?

No, use the Samsung Migration Tool to clone your existing C drive to the SSD. Make sure your current C drive doesn't hold more data than the size of the SSD.

wishsdark

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Ok, let me do that real quick. i will post an update soon as to how things are going. Thanks for the help so far btw!

wishsdark

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Ok, so i did what you told me.
6D1orP1.png

what now?

wishsdark

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

It worked! the ssd is once again recognised and is now my primary boot system!