[SOLVED] Samsung 860 Evo 500gb vs WD Blue SATA SSD 500gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
I will be using my pc for 2d/3d animation, Programming, Aftereffects, blender, Video editing, Photoshop and some gaming. Gaming is last priority.

SSD will be the os drive.

I will use WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm HDD for storage.

My question is what's the difference between the both??

I'd toss Crucial's MX500 into the consideration list as well...currently at about $64 or so in 500 GB variations...

(A 1 TB MX500 model I just installed scored 563 MB/sec reads on CrystalDiskMark...the highest I've seen for a SATA interface)

If your mainboard has an NVME M.2 slot available, you'd certainly want an Intel 660P instead...just as inexpensive as SATA variants, but, 3x faster...

Yes, all three are from reputable brands with good reviews and similar manufacturer warranties. From what I usually see the pricing is usually Samsung 860 evo > Crucial MX500 > WD blue (might vary depending on where you live and what retailer you buy from), and performance is pretty similar. Just get what is cheapest and it should be fine.

USAFRet

Titan
WD Blue - 600TBW EDITED: 200TBW
https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-3d-nand-sata-ssd#WDS100T2B0A

MX500 - 360TBW EDITED: 180TBW
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-comparison

860 EVO - 600TBW EDITED: 300TBW

All of which are irrelevant in normal consumer use.

All 7 SSD's combined in my main system barely exceed 10% of the 360TBW of the MX5500.
Some of those drives have been in 24.7 since 2014.

popatim

Titan
It should be fine. It has a small emulated SLC buffer but can still write at ~400MB/s once its exhausted that.
The 860Evo & MX500 uses a variable SLC buffer size based on the free space the drive has left.
I know the 860 min/max size is 6gb/42GB . I'm not sure on the MX500.

Perplexer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Just in case anyone else will come by months/years later looking for TBW info (like me):
Those TBW ratings in post #7 above are incorrect.

For 500 GB models, the correct TBW ratings are:

WD Blue: 200
Crucial MX500: 180
Samsung 860 EVO: 300

For 1TB (1000 GB) models, the correct TBW ratings are:

WD Blue: 400
Crucial MX500: 360
Samsung 860 EVO: 600

USAFRet

Titan
Just in case anyone else will come by months/years later looking for TBW info (like me):
Those TBW ratings in post #7 above are incorrect.

For 500 GB models, the correct TBW ratings are:

WD Blue: 200
Crucial MX500: 180
Samsung 860 EVO: 300

For 1TB (1000 GB) models, the correct TBW ratings are:

WD Blue: 400
Crucial MX500: 360
Samsung 860 EVO: 600
Thanks for catching that. I must have been reading values for larger drives.
Edited my post above.

anticeon

Distinguished
May 22, 2014
i have booth.
i own WD Blue for one year. blackout is so often in my country but the WD Blue still have 100 health. never met read/write issue its just perfect.
as for Evo 860 its still new and its in my laptop so i cant give much impression.
i think both is good brand, compared to Adata or other

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the discussion above! (y)

Purchased the 500GB 860 EVO, the price was about $14 higher ($67.95 shipped, yet my Amazon rewards dollars earned as a Prime member with their card (5%) was nearly $18, so the cost ($67.95 shipped, will arrive tomorrow) was less than WD Blue, of which was considering as well. Have several Samsung SSD's (plus 5-6 of their HDD's before Seagate took over the brand), all except one has ran perfect.

The one which gave trouble with read speeds, a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, I run their tool on it once monthly, or when I notice slowness. Although the free Disk Fresh tool ran with Read Only option checked gives better results, takes longer. Oddly, the 120GB of the same model runs perfectly fine. Back then, 500GB SDD's were expensive & somehow managed to clone the 1TB HDD installed in XPS 8700 when new to that 120GB model, even recovery partition & left 10GB for over provision. A week or so later, Dell sent me at no cost a reinstall DVD, this helped greatly. Back then, a 120GB 840 EVO SSD cost more than a 500GB 860 EVO of today, a lot more, I believe $119 on Newegg promo.

Didn't really want another 2.5" SSD, but the laptop doesn't have a NVMe option, otherwise wouldn't had to purchase anything, as I have a couple spares. As far as 'wearing out' goes, my first SSD, purchased in 2012, the 128GB Crucial m4, still has 98% lifespan left, and 2nd a few months later, a 180GB Intel 330, amazingly shows 100% by their Intel SSD tool. So these drives aren't fragile anymore by a longshot! Hopefully the trend will continue.

Also didn't want to be stuck with another DRAM-less SSD by Crucial which I assumed to be on promo. Although the Crucial BX300 hasn't given me any issues & is OK in a rarely used SATA-2 notebook, never occurred to me that Crucial, one of the leading manufacturers of RAM, would sell a SSD w/out physical DRAM. In fact, up to that point, had never heard of such, so sure wanted to avoid it this time & also no QLC. I expect MLC to go the same route as SLC & TLC to be on most premium drives, QLC for budget. Speaking of which, when the 840 EVO was purchased, TLC wasn't favored by many, so QLC has a year or longer to go before widely adopted. Hopefully Samsung will keep MLC in their Pro series 2.5" & NVMe lineup, if not, customers won't pay the markup.

Again, thanks, this article guided me on making the right decision!:D

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.