Question Samsung 860 EVO Daily Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2020
I purchased two new drives at the end of January:

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB Sata
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07864WMK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IEKG402/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reason I'm posting today is because I'm having difficulties with my machine crashing, and I'm convinced it's the SSD.
I moved from a 1TB HDD only system that had Windows 8.1 to the two drives mentioned above, and an upgrade to Windows 10. I put my Operating System on the SSD and everything else on the hard drive. Because the SSD is only 250GB, I was planning to reserve the space for things later down the road that I might want to put on it.

This is how it happens:
Regardless of what I'm doing (from writing reports to playing games), my machine will begin to lag out and then crash. This sometimes results in a BSOD, and sometimes not. This results in no dumps (I just today changed it so that i'll get dumps into minidump). The machine will restart on it's own and then boot to BIOS, where the SSD won't be found. My hard drive will still be there, but my SSD won't get recognized until I unplug it and plug it back in, then reboot the machine. It will boot up a little slower after I do this, but subsequent boots will be at regular speed until I have to inevitably repeat the process again. While I was writing a report, explorer.exe looked like it crashed because my taskbar vanished, followed by lag and a split second BSOD that was too fast for me to read the error code.

What I've done:
I've used chkdsk, Samsung Magician and checked for SMART errors. All of these say that the drive is perfectly healthy. I've attempted to switch cords and plugs on both ends, but I haven't changed the cords out completely (NOTE: the two drives are on a split SATA connector). I've updated my drivers, reset my CMOS battery, updated BIOS firmware and the SSD's firmware as well. I had vmware running on my SSD and moved it because I thought that it might have been doing something. In reality, as far as my knowledge goes, I feel like I've done all I can do besides wiping the SSD and reinstalling Windows, which is my next step. I've talked to Amazon and Samsung about this issue, but doing anything with either of their customer support teams is like pulling teeth. If I have to talk to them again, it'll be to return the drive.

My question:
Is there anything that I haven't done that might be useful? Will wiping my SSD and reinstalling Windows be an effective solution? and if not, should I just return the drive even though it seems like there's no errors? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Mar 2, 2020
When you refer to " (NOTE: the two drives are on a split SATA connector)" you are, of course, referring to multiple power connectors on a single cable, correct? You absolutely cannot connect 2 drives to a single SATA connector.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. It's one cable with a SATA connector, that then extends into a second SATA connector. I thought that would be an issue, but I wasn't 100% sure. I imagine it has something to do with power consumption? I've rectified that issue now. I also wiped and formatted the SSD and then fresh installed Windows 10 on it, just in case.

Is there anything else that you figure might be the issue? The reason I ask is that I won't know if the problem is fixed until it does or doesn't crash again, by which time this thread might be long dead.

Mar 2, 2020
The Sata Data cable is the the smaller of the two that attach tot he drive. It should not have a split in it anywhere. This is the one ex_bubblehead is referring to.

Which motherboard do you have?

My motherboard is an Asus Z97-K, and the cable I was referring to that was a splitter was the power cable. My apologies, I should've been more specific. They're of course on two different data cables.

Mar 2, 2020
It just crashed again actually. So changing the power cords and doing a wipe and fresh OS install didn't make a difference. But this time I got a glimpse of the BSOD error.

System Service Exception

There might have been more to it, but that's all that I could see in the split second it stays up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.