[SOLVED] Samsung 860 EVO has dropped over 200Mbs write speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

i9.

Jan 31, 2019
As the title says. I am concerned and confused as to why such a drastic drop. It is only 45% filled, and on Samsung Magican it says 4.2 TB (whatever that means?) Good health, latest firmware, TRIM is enabled and tested it, and had it for a little over 5 months if that even matters.

I upgraded from an old pc with a very old and used Samsung PM800 that has over 43,000 power on hours according to CrystalDiskInfo (that I use in my current build still). I wanted to get something good and I heard good things about the 850 from many people so I decided to get the 860 for my build.

I did a benchmark (CrystalDiskMark)

My concerns. I will post the brand new benchmark with programs installed (basically the same programs I have now, but with the addition of 4 game installs making it go from 12% at the time of the first benchmark when it was new, to the current used 45% as stated above)

Seq Read: 563.3 (not the issue just posting to show not much degradation, which I assume should be the case with the write)
Seq Write: 533.6

Now

Seq Read: 561.8 (not an issue as stated above)
Seq Write: 320.9

I can post screenshots of everything if needed. Am I just worrying to much and should leave it alone or do I need to worry?. I could understand maybe... 10~ MB difference but not over 200.... 45% shouldn't make that much of a difference, should it?. I could understand if I was over 90%.

Anyways enough of my rambling
I'm off to bed

Thanks in advance to those who wish to help / discuss this.

Solution
your SSD consist of SLC buffer (~550MB/s) and TLC nand (~300MB/s)
SLC buffer size is small (12GB for 256GB model, 28GB for 512GB model,...)
so only small buffered portion of drive can speed things up, once that small buffer is full, it will run on its native speed
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9TLzIvNzQ2MjEwL29yaWdpbmFsLzg2MF9FVk9fMjUwR0IucG5n

here sneak peak

i9.

Jan 31, 2019
That's what I thought was the problem at first. Something might have been going in the background. So I restarted and pulled up task manager and it said 0-2% disk usage then did another benchmark and those were the results of that one after the restart.

your SSD consist of SLC buffer (~550MB/s) and TLC nand (~300MB/s)
SLC buffer size is small (12GB for 256GB model, 28GB for 512GB model,...)
so only small buffered portion of drive can speed things up, once that small buffer is full, it will run on its native speed
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9TLzIvNzQ2MjEwL29yaWdpbmFsLzg2MF9FVk9fMjUwR0IucG5n

here sneak peak

Solution

i9.

Jan 31, 2019
I was going to ask some of my friends if they could bench theirs and see what their scores were. I know one who has a 850 500 GB and TB. But that was only if I couldn't figure out anything here.
So what your saying is I genuinely have nothing to worry about?.
Will all over SSDs be like this too?.
How could I get the speed I have before? (if possible)

It seems like your 860 also does it too.

I am new to SSDs and haven't had much experience with them.

~500MB/s is SLC
~300MB/s is TLC
when it uses SLC, it will go max speed, once slc buffer is full, it will slowdown to its TLC speed, once u stop using your drive, data gets moved from SLC to TLC (in background)

Feb 28, 2019

~500MB/s is SLC
~300MB/s is TLC
when it uses SLC, it will go max speed, once slc buffer is full, it will slowdown to its TLC speed, once u stop using your drive, data gets moved from SLC to TLC (in background)

It seems as if the unit has 2GB of buffer. But Samsung puts 22GB of buffer on a 500GB disk.

Could it be that the Samsung 860 EVO SSD has the buffer in bad condition?

raena.exml

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Same issue. I have Samsung Evo 860 250gb for about 9 months, and the exact same problem started in the last 10 days.
Seq Read is around 550, Seq Write 315 now, whereas 2 weeks ago there were solid 550/530.
This is my secondary ssd, with only one game installed on it, i haven't even made any changes since i installed it :unsure: I'm already thinking about RMA it, since there are quite a lot of people on the Internet with this problem not solved

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS